Barbie Just Got A Major Makeover

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Barbie was my obsession from the ages of 4-11. Walking into my childhood bedroom was like entering Barbie-land. I’m talking about Barbie sheets, Barbie duvet, my Barbie dollhouse to one corner and my collection of Barbies strewn about the floor. I loved to dress them, create my own story lines about their newest adventures and, yes, like many others, I cut their hair. Playing with Barbie is the stand out memory of my childhood. They allowed me to use my imagination in unimaginable ways.

In recent years, Barbie has faced harsh criticism from those arguing the doll sets unreasonable body standards for young girls. The odds of being born with Barbie’s proportions are less than 100,000:1. If that isn’t unrealistic, then I don’t know what is. The company has been facing a decline in sales for the past four years. According to Glamour Magazine, millennial moms are unhappy buying these ultra-thin dolls with “perfect” bodies for their daughters.

On January 28th, the Mattel owned doll turned the page to a new chapter of inclusion to inspire a new generation of girls across the United States and the world. On the heels of their viral campaign “Imagine the Possibilities,” the company has launched Barbie with three new body types: petite, tall and curvy. The new dolls are also available with different skin and hair combinations. Barbie also includes a flat-footed option, just in-case heels aren’t your cup of tea. Launching these dolls was a top-secret endeavor with the collaboration of American Ballet Theatre principle dancer, Misty Copeland.

I, for one, am incredibly excited about the company’s efforts to embrace all body types. Barbies are an incredible toy for young girls to positively use their imagination and develop their minds. Now these same girls are able to walk into a toy store and say, “Hey mommy, that one looks just like me!” That’s a pretty exciting image. 

I'm a senior Politics major with English and Women, Gender, and Sexuality studies minors. My passions include reading, writing, and Dunkin Donuts iced coffee. You can find me binge watching Netflix or loudly singing along to my newest music obsession.
Pamela is currently in her senior year at Fairfield Univerity where she is majoring in management. In her free time she enjoys working out, spending time with friends and family and binge watching reality television. *guilty*.... Follow her on instagram! @pamelagrant