Amy Winehouse Isn’t Gone Just Yet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

It’s crazy to believe that it has been almost four years since Amy Winehouse has been gone. According to People.com Amy, the documentary film following her rise to fame and her tragic death is set to release in July under the direction of Asif Kapadia. 

For those who don’t know the name Amy Winehouse, she was a British soul/jazz singer.  She rose to fame in 2006 with her hit “Rehab,” which exposed her addiction problems and how she believed she didn’t need anyone’s help. Later that year she won five Grammy awards for the album Back to Black that included “Rehab”, “Valerie”, and “Back to Black”.  Unfortunately, her abuse struggles continued to persist until her death in July 23, 2011.  The cause of death was found to be alcohol poisoning.

The newly released trailer shows Winehouse’s passion for singing, though she never thought singing was the path she was going to take. She mentions how lucky she is to have singing to fall back on, incase life didn’t work out for her. In regards her writing she states, “I won’t write anything unless it was directly personal to me because I wouldn’t be able to tell the story right.”

For more information regarding the film log onto amy-movie.com.

Hi my name is Alejandra Arias and I am the Executive Feature Editor for Her Campus Fairfield
Amanda McKelvey is a Co-Campus Correspondent and a senior at Fairfield University. She is a Journalism major with minors in Psychology and Communications. In addition to being a CC she has held internships with Michael Kors, CollegeFashionista.com and the Rockville Centre and Baldwin Heralds. In her free time, Amanda enjoys days on the beaches of Long Island, watching Scandal, Chicago Fire and the Bachelorette, eating anything sweet (chocolate, ice cream, cupcakes—you name it!) and reading a good book. She’s excited to spend her senior year living at Fairfield Beach with her best friends including fellow CC Danielle Tullo! You can follow her on Twitter @theAMANDAshowww or on Instagram @ammckelvey.