Allure Founding Editor Steps Down After 25 Years

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Linda Wells, the founding editor of Allure magazine, has decided to step down from her position after 25 years. Michelle Lee has been hired by Condé Nast to take her place and is leaving her post as Nylon’s editor-in-chief and chief marketing officer.

According to Fashionista, Condé Nast President Bob Sauerberg said that Wells’ exit from Allure has been approaching for quite some time:

“Earlier this year when we celebrated her incredible 25-year anniversary, Linda Wells and I pridefully reflected on her success and her invention of Allure. Over time, we came to realize that we would need to identify the next, new voice in beauty. The task was not easy— but I’m pleased to announce that we will be appointing a new editor-in-chief charged with amplifying the great content synonymous with Allure while reimagining the brand for a new millennial audience.”

However, Lee has her work cut out for her. It is extremely difficult to jump into such a position and fill the shoes of someone who has been there for such a long time. Lee will have to follow Condé Nast’s growing interest in e-commerce and Nylon’s growth in digital advancement under her leadership. Lee is well qualified to take such a position. She ran her own business before she became a part of Nylon’s team, where she became chief marketing officer.

In a statement according to Fashionista, Lee said she is “looking forward to expanding [Allure‘s] unique ability to inspire and empower through beauty to all platforms.”

But hopefully this will bring a positive change to Allure and put them back into the consumer’s minds, mostly by creating a larger presence in the online world and creating an even better online portal. 

Gabriella is currently a junior at Fairfield University, where she is majoring in Marketing and minoring in Communications. She is Co-Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Fairfield with her roomie/best friend Pamela Grant! Gab can most likely be found with a Venti Starbs in hand, while wearing obnoxiously large sunnies (no shame), reading the most recent issue of Glamour Mag.