All About the Brand Colour Pop

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

If you’re like me, you definitely don’t have money to spend on high-end make up products. However, when I do have some spending money, I am drawn to Sephora. Every visit leads to me being overwhelmed by all the brands and endless options. Because of this, I tend to stick to products I know and trust. It wasn’t until recently when I started watching YouTube makeup tutorials, that I became willing to try different make-up products.

However, as my make-up obsession grows, my bank account shrinks. Currently, Kat Von D’s Everlasting Liquid Lipstick is on Sephora’s best sellers page. I’m sure this product works exceptionally well, however it’s priced at $20 Compared to other lip products, this is actually considered relatively low-priced. However, then I run into the struggle of not wanting to pay money for a color that I am not positive will even look good on me. On the other hand, I have found that drugstore lip products often diminish over time and can be streaky.

Luckily for me, I was referred to a brand called Colour Pop. They sell eye shadow, cheek and eye liner products. However, they are best known for their lip products. Your options are Ultra Matte Lip gloss, Lippie Stix, and or Lippie Pencils. Their matte formula allows you enough time to spread the product before it dries, however when it does dry, it is super long lasting and won’t budge. 

The Lippie Stixs are made from a creamier formula and I find it easier to apply than the gloss, because the stick allows for more control. The most attractive aspect of Colour Pop is their pricing! The Ultra Matte Lip products are priced at $6.00,  Lippie Stix are priced at $5.00, and the Lippie Pencils are sold for $5.00. All of their other products are also around that price range. Above, my roommates and I have created swatches some of our favorite colors (left to right: Midi, Beeper, Clueless, Solow, Donut, 1st Base, Teeny Tiny, Tulle, and Avenue.)

The quality of their products is so good that they have caused controversy. Kylie Jenner was seen coming out of Colour Pop’s factory before the launch of her own lip product line. After this was released, many people began to see similarities between the products and packaging. They began accusing her of working with Colour Pop or even replicating their products.

On December 24, 2015, Seventeen published an article titled Kylie Jenner Addresses Rumors That She Used Another Makeup Brand’s Formula for Her Lip Kit. After these rumors got out, Kylie instagrammed a picture on her lip kit by kylie account of her at a lab captioned “hanging out with the owners at @colourpopcosmetics we don’t have the same formula or exact colors but they are my friends and they do have some bomb ass products that I love. Check them out.” Many other celebrities, like Zendaya and Demi Lovato, have endorsed Colour Pop, too. Better then that, Colour Pop’s home page displays everyday consumers sporting their products. This is helpful because you get to see what the colors look like on skin-tones similar to yours.

I 100% recommend these products to anyone who is apprehensive about splurging on make-up, and those who are unsure of trying something new!

Pamela is currently in her senior year at Fairfield Univerity where she is majoring in management. In her free time she enjoys working out, spending time with friends and family and binge watching reality television. *guilty*.... Follow her on instagram! @pamelagrant