9 Ways To Avoid the Freshman 15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

The freshman 15; quite possibly the worst words you will hear upon entering college. Maybe it’s not as bad as that 7-page paper you have due in English, or maybe it’s even worse. Have no fear; there are ways to avoid the weight gain. Keep in mind that everyone’s body is different and therefore everyone adjusts to college differently. There is no shame in a little weight gain, but here are some easy tips to avoid the freshman 15:

1. Eat a good breakfast. There is no better way to start your day than with a healthy breakfast. Eat lots and lots of fruit. It is not only good for you, but is an energy booster full of vitamins.
  2. Your energy boosters. I know you wake up dreading your 8 AM’s and need a little pick me up. Steer clear of the high calorie, double mocha, double whip Frappuccino’s and stick to a basic iced coffee. Substitute the syrup flavor with a healthy sweetener, such as sugar in the raw. Black coffee is also proven to be the least fattening, but if you need a little milk stick to skim, or an alternative, such as coconut or almond milk.
  3. Hydrate. One of the most important tips anyone will give you is to drink A LOT of water. Hydration is key in being able to accomplish your daily activities. Water is a key aid in weight loss and maintaining a healthy weight. Flavor your water with lemon, lime, or your preferred pieces of fruit; it not only adds flavor, but is a key factor in helping your digestion. Extra Tip: Drinking a cup of warm lemon water first thing is the morning can help flush your system and rehydrate your body. Get drinking!!
  4. Go to the gym. Exercise is good not only for your body, but your mind as well. Instead of stress eating, try stress working out. It is a great way to burn off some cals and relax your mind. Also in your spare time try some of the great classes the Rec Plex offers. Spin classes and Zumba seem to be most popular among Fairfield students!
  5. Snack. In portions! Everyone needs a pick me up now and then, but when you take it too far with what you select to snack on you are going to see problems. Stick to a healthy granola bar or go for a handful of almonds. It is also good to keep vegetables around, which you can pair with some hummus or veggie dip.
  6. Do not skip meals. Try not to skip any meals and eat these meals at regular times. Set up an eating schedule for yourself that corresponds to your class and work schedule so that you are never skipping meals unnecessarily.
  7. Dinner. Eat dinner before 8 pm. Studies show that after 8 pm your body slows down its metabolizing process. Also make sure you’re eating slowly… remember chewing does burn calories!
  8. Take advantage of the salad bar. Try to get greens in with every meal you eat. Barone’s salad bar is packed with toppings galore. Try to throw in some spinach to aid in muscle growth and some arugula for a little kick. Avoid the heavy dressings such as ranch and stick to a more basic, but equally as yummy, choice of oil and vinegar.
  9. Don’t go crazy. Everyone needs some junk food in their lives, but moderation is key. Maybe save it for the end of the week when you’re really craving that microwavable mac and cheese, or the mozzarella sticks from the Levee (10/10 would recommend).

I am a current freshman, majoring in Marketing, here at Fairfield. I love anything to do with Netflix, Blogging, Shopping, and Food.
Gabriella is currently a junior at Fairfield University, where she is majoring in Marketing and minoring in Communications. She is Co-Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Fairfield with her roomie/best friend Pamela Grant! Gab can most likely be found with a Venti Starbs in hand, while wearing obnoxiously large sunnies (no shame), reading the most recent issue of Glamour Mag.