9 Must See Movies for A Snow Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Finally, outside looks like the winter wonderland we’ve all been dreaming of and once we “finish our work” we get to relax and enjoy a good movie (or five). Grab your popcorn and a blanket and snuggle up with the nine movies that are perfect for any colliegette stuck inside on this windy day:

The movie for anyone with a lot of time on their hands: Harry Potter. Do you have 20+ hours to spare? Then a HP movie marathon is definitely for you. Sure, there are plenty of series that you can binge watch but Harry Potter is undeniably the best. Cuddle up with your dorkiest friends and quote along as you watch three adorable British munchkins grow up before your eyes.

The movie for anyone that has the urge to watch a classic: Pretty Woman. Julia Roberts is America’s ultimate sweetheart and her smile can warm even the coldest of winters. Plus, the way Richard Gere’s eyes light up whenever he looks at Julia makes every girl swoon.

The movie for anyone missing the warmth of the currently nonexistent sun: 50 First Dates. As an adorable chick flick with the funniest cast, 50 First Dates should be watched year round. Its tropical setting and vibrant colors makes it even more perfect when we’re stuck in a snow storm.

The movie for anyone craving an adventure: Die Hard. If you start to go a little stir crazy (it happens to the best of us), press play on Die Hard and buckle up. Bruce Willis is the ultimate bad ass as a NYPD officer taking on twelve criminals and saving the day.

The movie for anyone that roots for the underdog: Cool Runnings. This sports flick follows three Jamaican runners who decide to start a bobsled team after they lose their chance to qualify for the 1988 summer Olympics. They are ridiculed and mocked by the competition but watching them work together as a team makes this a feel good movie.

The movie for anyone who needs a pick me up: How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days. Matthew McConaughey is in his prime in this romantic comedy and when he is paired with the always funny Kate Hudson, magic happens. Their sunny personalities and the heartwarming ending keeps us nice and toasty in this freezing weather.

The movie for anyone who is missing snow days as a child: Anastasia. You may be tired of all the Queen Elsa and Frozen references recently, but have you forgotten about Grand Duchess Anya of Russia? Curl up with your hot chocolate and this animated classic and get ready for an Oscar winning soundtrack. Hopefully Rasputin will be less terrifying this time around and Dimitri will be just as cute.

The movie for anyone who hasn’t truly discovered their love for Miles Teller: Two Night Stand. Two Night Stand, starring the endearing Analeigh Tipton as Megan, is my absolute favorite. As a one night stand between two strangers turns into two due to a blizzard in the city, we fall even further in love with the comedic heart throb that is Miles Teller.

The movie for anyone who wants to embrace the cold: Ice Age. Some of the movies on this list help us escape the current condition outside but sometimes we need to accept the things we cannot change. Just be glad we are stags in Juno and not sloths in the Paleolithic ice age.

Amanda McKelvey is a Co-Campus Correspondent and a senior at Fairfield University. She is a Journalism major with minors in Psychology and Communications. In addition to being a CC she has held internships with Michael Kors, CollegeFashionista.com and the Rockville Centre and Baldwin Heralds. In her free time, Amanda enjoys days on the beaches of Long Island, watching Scandal, Chicago Fire and the Bachelorette, eating anything sweet (chocolate, ice cream, cupcakes—you name it!) and reading a good book. She’s excited to spend her senior year living at Fairfield Beach with her best friends including fellow CC Danielle Tullo! You can follow her on Twitter @theAMANDAshowww or on Instagram @ammckelvey.