7 Must-Have Jackets You Need This Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

As swimsuits are to summer, jackets are to winter. At the first sign of a chill in the air, we instantly pull out our favorite sweaters, coats, and vests for an extra layer of stylish warmth.

Now that the cold weather warrants not leaving home without one, you may be considering adding a new jacket to your outerwear wardrobe. Here’s a roundup of some of our favorite jackets that are flying off the racks this season.

1. Classic Leather Jacket

With minimalist style coming to the forefront of the fashion scene, the classic leather jacket is definitely having its moment. This timeless, versatile piece is a fantastic addition to your cold weather wardrobe and isn’t going out of style any time soon.

2. Shearling and Denim

The combination of effortlessly cool denim and super cozy shearling creates the ideal winter jacket. Paired with anything from leggings to a chic mini skirt, this coat will keep you warm and looking extra cool.

3. Teddy Bear Coat

Affectionately named the “teddy bear,” the oversized and extremely fuzzy coats seen on the backs of celebrities and fashion bloggers this season are the perfect cozy pick. These jackets come in virtually every color of the rainbow and are definitely worth adding to your coat rotation.

4. Bomber

The perfect marriage of comfort and style, a classic quilted bomber is ideal for layering over your favorite sweater for a casual cold weather look. This style hits right at the hip for a flattering fit and will definitely become your favorite coat quickly.

5. Perfect Parka

Sometimes, we have to sacrifice style in the name of warmth when faced with walking across campus to class in subzero temps. For the mornings when a normal coat just won’t cut it, a parka that hits below the knee is the perfect defense against the icy air.

6. Chic Cape

Channel your inner Blair Waldorf in this city-inspired coat silhouette. A departure from the classic coat style, this cold weather piece will definitely turn heads and keep you cozy.

7. Duster

A favorite of celebs like Chrissy Teigen, Gigi Hadid, and The Bachelor’s Amanda Stanton, this floor-reaching style is the perfect addition to a simple outfit and a definite statement piece. If you’re feeling bold, pick up one of these full-length stunners.

Stay warm, Stags!

Alexis DiZenzo is a motivated Connecticut native. She attends Fairfield University where she is majoring in digital journalism and minoring in marketing. She is currently co-campus corespondent of Fairfield's Her Campus chapter. Along with managing Her Campus Fairfield, Alexis has interned with The Secured Lender Magazine, and NBC Sports. She is a contributing writer for Elite Daily as well as Thought Catalog. In the early stages of her college career, Alexis has taken the initiative to reach far among the stars and achieve goals early on. She has a great sense of editing, writing, publishing, marketing and leadership as well as strong interpersonal skills. (And a fun-loving, outgoing personality!) Alexis' favorite book (and movie) is The Great Gatsby, she lives by the words of Carrie Bradshaw and you could definitely find her on a beach, soaking up the sun. Instagram @alexisdizenzo www.alexisfdizenzo.com