7 Finals Week Tips You Need for Success

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

As we head into finals we’re all thinking the same thing: where has the time gone? We’ve all got our plates full between papers piling up and study guides that need completing. It’s stressful and nerve-wracking, especially since we’ve got to balance the rest of our lives at the same time. But no need to freak out—we are here to help all you collegiettes with some helpful tips for your studying and surviving finals week! 

1. Write It Out 

Get out your calendar, white-board and planners. Write down all of your upcoming assignments, tests and papers. Seeing what you have coming up, how much time you have and other obligations can be overwhelming, however planning it all out can help you prioritize what’s to come.

2. Get A Good Night Sleep

Get a good night sleep for your own sake! I know it’s one of the hardest things to do in college with so much to do all the time. During finals it is even more crucial with so many assignments and tests. Yes, late night at the library will happen but planning ahead will give you an advantage to getting things done and getting in those z’s. You’ll thank yourself when you can get up at a decent hour and start to conquer the day.

3. Take Study Breaks 

There’s only one way to survive finals week and that’s through constructive study breaks. A person can only take so much work at one time. Taking those little study breaks will refresh your mind and body. They can be anything from catching up with friends, getting your body moving at the gym or even treating yourself to a nice meal.

4. Make A Bomb A** Playlist

The only way to make doing work better is jamming out to your favorite tunes. Take some time out before things get too crazy and make a playlist of songs that you love that will get your mind moving or even a playlist of instrumental music to keep you focused. If you’re thinking, “I have absolutely no time and you’re crazy for even suggesting this,” you’re in luck: we live in the age of Apple Music, Spotify and Soundcloud with premade playlists at our disposal.

5. Reach Out To Professors

Our professors here at Fairfield University are here to help you. If you’re going over a problem over and over again and it’s still not making any sense, email your professor. Ask them if they can explain it in a different way that will click or for general help. They want you to do just as well as you want yourself to do. Don’t be afraid to ask for help!

6. Get Off Campus

Being cooped up in the library can drive anyone crazy. If you’re reading the same line in your textbook over and over and still not retaining anything, it’s time to get out. Get off campus; go outside—the beach is right down the road. There are tons of spots downtown that you can relax and do work in that will give you more motivation.

7. Create Study Groups

It can be difficult trying to study and memorize five different subjects all at once. One of the best things is to meet up and start study group, a Google doc or even just a group text with classmates. It can be very helpful to discuss the material with others. It helps you study and retain the information but also allows you to distinguish each subject with all the work needed to be done.

Don’t sweat it during this finals week ladies. We are all in this together and we will survive and thrive through it all!

Adriana is currently a second semester senior at Fairfield University. She is majoring in Communication and English with a concentration in creative writing as well as a double minor in marketing and women, gender and sexuality studies.              
Pamela is currently in her senior year at Fairfield Univerity where she is majoring in management. In her free time she enjoys working out, spending time with friends and family and binge watching reality television. *guilty*.... Follow her on instagram! @pamelagrant