6 Easy Steps for The Perfect Smokey Eye

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

It’s so easy to take one look inside your eyeshadow palette and feel overwhelmed. You know all the tools are there, but how do you go about using them? You want that perfect smokey eye for a night out with the girls, but where do you begin? With these 6 steps, creating the perfect smokey eye could not be easier.

Step One: Apply A Base.You need something for your eye shadow to not only stick to, but that will ensure it won’t crease or wear off over the course of the night. The best primer on the market is the Urban Decay Primer Potion, available at Sephora. Make sure to apply a generous amount of primer from the eyelid all the way up to the brow bone to ensure maximum staying power!

Step Two: Add DefinitionApply a medium matte brown shade in the crease of your eyelid. For best application, use a fluffy brush, since it blends the color best. No matter what color smokey eye you are anticipating, it is imperative to have a basic brown to blend out the harsher shadows and add definition to your crease.

Step Three: Lid ColorNow here is the moment of truth: What color smokey eye are you going for? A sparkly silver lid may be some girls’ cup of tea but not others. Whether you go for a classic matte lid or a bold and shimmering lid, make sure to blend the color up to the crease.

Step Four: IntensifyHere comes the fun part, darkening it up! Depending on the look you’re going for, you can decide how intense you want the actual shadow to be! Slowly add color to your crease by increasingly using a darker shade in both the crease and “Outer V” (see diagram above). If you’re feeling especially daring, add a bit of black in there to really smoke out the look.

Step Five: Blend, Blend, BlendBlending is your best friend with any smokey look. Run your fluffy brush through your crease, outer V, and lid until you have your desired look. This may add time and require more effort, but don’t be discouraged if you’re still blending after a few minutes. Feel free to add more color where needed as well. Just the remember the golden rule: It’s easier to add product than take it away!

Step Six: Finishing TouchesOnce you have reached your desired appearance, congratulations! You have successfully created your smokey eye! All you need now is a dash of eyeliner and some mascara and you’re set for a night out!

Danielle was previously the Deputy Editor at Her Campus, where she oversaw social and content strategy, lifestyle, beauty, fashion, news, and entertainment. Prior to joining Her Campus, Danielle worked at House Beautiful as Senior Lifestyle Editor, directing and producing feature videos and stories. Danielle also served as Snapchat Editor at Cosmopolitan, overseeing the brands daily Snapchat Discover channel. In 2016, she launched Cosmo Bites — which is now the official food and beverage vertical at Cosmopolitan. That same year, Danielle was named as a Rising Star in the digital media industry by FOLIO Magazine. Danielle got her start in digital media by launching the Her Campus chapter at Fairfield University in 2014, where she acted as Campus Correspondent for 2.5 years, before graduating with a degree in English and creative writing. She enjoys wine, food, and long walks through HomeGoods. Follow Danielle on Instagram!