The 54 Thoughts You Have When Assigned A Group Project

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

The two most dreaded words that can be put on a syllabus are “Group Project.” This form of torture that professors find helpful and engaging makes eating dirt, or going to the gym for twelve hours straight seem like normal and acceptable options. Once the prof finishes his/her speech on what they expect from each student and the deadlines, the following thoughts are what a large majority think of…

1. What are chances that she puts me and my BFF together?
  2. Probs not going to happen. She’s always telling us to be quiet.
  3. WHEN IS SHE GOING TO CALL MY NAME?
  4. I really hope that I know someone in the group.
  5. Wait, I take that back—I hope that I like at least one person.
  6. I better not be in the group that’s called last.
  7. I can’t even handle the stress right now.
  8. THANK GOD SHE CALLED MY NAME!
  9. Great, I’m the only girl in the group. 
  10. I’m so pumped for the awkward silence.
  11. SOMEONE PLEASE END THE SILENCE AND SAY YOUR NAME!
  12. Okay, the other groups are sitting in silence so maybe this is just normal.
  13. Wow, the over-achiever is telling his life story.
  14. I honestly don’t care that you got a 2250 on your SAT.
  15. Wait, do you think he’s going to want to be the group leader?
  16. I’M THE GROUP LEADER.
  17. So not surprising that the class procrastinator is in the group.
  18. What have I done in my nineteen years to deserve this?
  19. The kid that asks a million questions is also here. Just great.
  20. Stay calm. Deep breath. There’s still a chance the other guy is going to be a help.
  21. I think it’s pretty awesome that that this kid doesn’t care about this class.
  22. Why would someone think it’s okay to say that they don’t care about the class?!?
  23. WHY DID THIS KID EVEN SIGN UP FOR THE COURSE?!
  24. His pullover is so cute, I can’t hate him too much.
  25. This awkward silence is making me uncomfortable.
  26. C’mon girl you got this, you’re the unofficial official group leader. Take control!
  27. I could be watching Parks and Recreation right now but no, I’m listening to three other people passive aggressively arguing about who has the busier schedule.
  28. Let’s face it, I’m the busiest…
  29. Let’s just delegate responsibilities and get out of here.
  30. Are we surprised that the kid who doesn’t want to be here wants nothing to do with the class, won’t contribute to the group?
  31. IF YOU’RE NOT GOING TO DO ANYTHING, WHY ARE YOU STILL SITTING IN MY PRESENCE??
  32. I’M CONVINCED MY PROFESSOR LOVES TO TORTURE PEOPLE.
  33. How did this kid even get into college? I’m still not over the fact he won’t help out.
  34. Doesn’t this child know I’m allergic to ignorance?
  35. There better not be a group message.
  36. Yep, the clueless boy just asked for everyone’s number…
  37. Why couldn’t we just keep this to Google Docs?
  38. Ughhhh, I actually have to schedule in this group’s meeting times.
  39. Don’t they know how much this is going to disrupt my Netflix schedule. How inconsiderate.
  40. If the over-achiever tells me my responsibilities one more time, I’m going to lose it.
  41. I would rather do this all by myself then to be told what to do over and over again.
  42. Should I be upfront and tell him that I absolutely hate him?
  43. Clueless boy just asked three times for clarification on what his responsibility is.
  44. Should I relinquish his responsibilities and assign them to myself?
  45. I hate to be mean but can he just stand there and look pretty?
  46. I mean he is really cute, so that’s not even being mean. I just complimented him.
  47. I wish I was trapped at the gym right now.
  48. I want to secede from this group.
  49. I don’t think I’m mentally strong enough for this.
  50. Thank Goodness, there’s only twenty minutes left of this meeting.
  51. Please, I’m begging, I need this time to fly by.
  52. Genius idea—I’m going to finish my work at lightening speed and then just leave. #Perf.
  53. Don’t even care that my sentences don’t make sense at the moment. I can fix them in the privacy of my own dorm.
  54. YES I’M DONE! GOODBYE OVER-ACHIEVER, CLUELESS BOY, AND THE NON-PARTICIPANT!
I dream of eating waffles with Amy Poehler and climbing to the top of Corporate America specifically in the fashion industry. Amy P hasn't responded to my emails, so in the meantime, I'm your typical college student who is majoring in Accounting. I'm a self-proclaimed Diet Coke and Twitter addict and I will never go a day without them. I hate the gym so don't look for me there. Finally, follow me on Twitter @gabbyycapello or Instagram @gabbycapello!
Danielle was previously the Deputy Editor at Her Campus, where she oversaw social and content strategy, lifestyle, beauty, fashion, news, and entertainment. Prior to joining Her Campus, Danielle worked at House Beautiful as Senior Lifestyle Editor, directing and producing feature videos and stories. Danielle also served as Snapchat Editor at Cosmopolitan, overseeing the brands daily Snapchat Discover channel. In 2016, she launched Cosmo Bites — which is now the official food and beverage vertical at Cosmopolitan. That same year, Danielle was named as a Rising Star in the digital media industry by FOLIO Magazine. Danielle got her start in digital media by launching the Her Campus chapter at Fairfield University in 2014, where she acted as Campus Correspondent for 2.5 years, before graduating with a degree in English and creative writing. She enjoys wine, food, and long walks through HomeGoods. Follow Danielle on Instagram!