This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Every collegiette has been there, it’s a bright sunny Sunday morning and you feel like you have been hit by a bus…multiple times. So, maybe it wasn’t your best idea to take that bottle of wine to the face, but we all make mistakes. The weekends are fun but they would be a lot better without waking up feeling like you were apart of The Hangover cast the night before. The best way to avoid a hangover is to do the following:

1) Drink A Lot of Water

Sounds fairly easy, but this is essential. Alcohol causes dehydration, and if you don’t drink water throughout the day and then try to make up for it with alcohol at night, you’ll feel horrible the next day.

2) Eat Meals Filled with Proteins and Carbs

If you’re planning on consuming a decent amount of alcohol, eat a big meal prior. The way in which your metabolism processes alcohol has an effect on the severity of your hangover. When you provide your stomach with foods that are packed with carbs and proteins you are allowing your stomach to digest the byproducts of alcohol faster.  

3) Take Your Vitamins

Taking your daily vitamins the morning prior to your night out as well as again when you return home will help reduce chances of a hangover. The vitamins will replenish your system with the nutrients you have lost from drinking. 

4) Get A Good Night Sleep Before Going Out

Not getting enough sleep is already bad for you, and adding a night out of drinking when you are already sleep deprived does not help your case. It is important to get as much rest as you can to help yourself and your body prepare for a night of drinking. 

5) Choose Fruit Juices and Sport Drinks as Chasers Over Soda

Juices contain vitamins that soda does not, and let’s be honest, you need all the vitamins and electrolytes you can get.

Alexis DiZenzo is a motivated Connecticut native. She attends Fairfield University where she is majoring in digital journalism and minoring in marketing. She is currently co-campus corespondent of Fairfield's Her Campus chapter. Along with managing Her Campus Fairfield, Alexis has interned with The Secured Lender Magazine, and NBC Sports. She is a contributing writer for Elite Daily as well as Thought Catalog. In the early stages of her college career, Alexis has taken the initiative to reach far among the stars and achieve goals early on. She has a great sense of editing, writing, publishing, marketing and leadership as well as strong interpersonal skills. (And a fun-loving, outgoing personality!) Alexis' favorite book (and movie) is The Great Gatsby, she lives by the words of Carrie Bradshaw and you could definitely find her on a beach, soaking up the sun. Instagram @alexisdizenzo www.alexisfdizenzo.com
Gabriella is currently a junior at Fairfield University, where she is majoring in Marketing and minoring in Communications. She is Co-Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Fairfield with her roomie/best friend Pamela Grant! Gab can most likely be found with a Venti Starbs in hand, while wearing obnoxiously large sunnies (no shame), reading the most recent issue of Glamour Mag.