5 TV Characters Who Are Also Inspiring Feminists

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Olivia PopeOlivia Pope is a boss, literally. She knows what to do in pretty much any situation, she doesn’t take anything from anyone, and she looks fantastic while doing it. As if she couldn’t be any more perfect, Olivia knows the value of a good glass of wine. 

Cristina YangHardcore is probably the only word to describe Cristina Yang. Cristina eats, breaths, and lives for surgery. She is devoted to her career, regardless of what the sacrifice means to her social life. Cristina Yang does not settle for anything less than the best. 

Leslie KnopeLeslie Knope is probably one of the most optimistic characters on television. She does everything in her power to make Pawnee, Indiana the best town it can be. Her time in the Pawnee’s Parks and Recreation Department was not always perfect, but she never let it get her down. Her ultimate goal is to become President of the United States, and you have to respect her for that.

Tami TaylorTami Taylor will not live in the shadow of her succesful husband, Coach Taylor. Instead, she does everything she can to be just as succesful if not more succesful than him. Tami wants her students to be succesful, and she faces every challenge with a brave face and never settles. 

Mindy LahiriMindy may not have the most successful dating and social life, especially in season 1, but that doesn’t mean anything compared to her impressive education. Mindy graduated from an Ivy League Med School, became an OB/GYN, and is partner at her New York City practice. 

Danielle was previously the Deputy Editor at Her Campus, where she oversaw social and content strategy, lifestyle, beauty, fashion, news, and entertainment. Prior to joining Her Campus, Danielle worked at House Beautiful as Senior Lifestyle Editor, directing and producing feature videos and stories. Danielle also served as Snapchat Editor at Cosmopolitan, overseeing the brands daily Snapchat Discover channel. In 2016, she launched Cosmo Bites — which is now the official food and beverage vertical at Cosmopolitan. That same year, Danielle was named as a Rising Star in the digital media industry by FOLIO Magazine. Danielle got her start in digital media by launching the Her Campus chapter at Fairfield University in 2014, where she acted as Campus Correspondent for 2.5 years, before graduating with a degree in English and creative writing. She enjoys wine, food, and long walks through HomeGoods. Follow Danielle on Instagram!