This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

In a world where a picture is worth a thousand words, how do you make sure your pictures say the right thing about you? Everyone has an Instagram account now, friends, family, even your favorite pet has an account. So how do you make yourself stand out? Here are 5 great tips and tricks to help your Insta go from dull to dazzling.

1.The Model Matters

Whether you’re taking a picture of yourself or an aesthetically pleasing planner, you want to love and care about what you’re photographing. If you are the model, make sure to take a picture when you already feel good. The better you feel about yourself, the better your picture will come out, trust me. 

2.A Good Photographer

You are probably the best photographer because only you know exactly what you want. That being said, if you want to actually be in the picture, make sure you trust whoever is taking the photo. Go to a friend who is patient, knows your insecurities, and who doesn’t mind correcting your posture or fixing your hair. 

3.Light it up

Lighting is key, no one looks good under fluorescent hospital lights! Aim for a time of day that will give you great results, there’s a reason it’s called ~golden~ hour! If the weather’s not great recruit some friends to help you out with lighting or rearrange your own home lighting to get some great results.  

4.Play with Color

A monotone picture might have its benefits, but if you really want to stand out, try some color! If you’re wearing muted colors, use a bright backdrop or throw in a fun prop. If you’re using a fairly plain backdrop, add a pop of color, wear a fun yellow sweater, some funky shoes, or even just a bold red lip. 

5.Relax! 

Taking photographs should not be stressful, have some fun with it! Take a deep breath and relax. Candid photos usually come out great because you look natural instead of stiff and posed. Loosen up, try weird new poses with your friends, crack a joke, laugh, and shake out all your photo-induced jitters. 

Molly Concannon

Fairfield '20

Molly Concannon is a Jersey girl through and through. She attends Fairfield University where she is majoring in Finance and Public Relations. This is her fourth year on the Her Campus team! She is also slightly obsessed with libraries, reading, and Disney movies, and she definitely will try to pet any dogs she sees.
I am a Junior Marketing Major with a concentration in digital and social media marketing and a Finance minor at Fairfield University. I am a creative, driven, and hardworking individual who loves fashion and beauty.