sean o KMn4VEeEPR8 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sean o KMn4VEeEPR8 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style > Beauty

5 Things to Know Before Your First Spray Tan

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Warmer weather equals fewer clothes and more exposed skin, which means it’s time to get tan! Nowadays, spray tans are where it’s at, and we definitely recommend you try it if you haven’t yet.  However, there are a few things you definitely want to know before booking your first appointment. Check out these 5 pointers to get the perfect glow and avoid rookie mistakes!

1. During your spray tan, the technician will tan your face, so you should make sure you clean off all makeup before your appointment. At the very least, put some makeup wipes in your purse!

2. Sweat will make your tan drip right off your skin, and could make your nice new glow all streaky! Make sure to skip the gym that night and definitely don’t sign up for any workout classes for 24 hours after.

3. Putting on lotion before you get a spray tan creates a wall between the spray tan and your skin. Your tan could come out lighter than expected, or be streaky and uneven. So, you should most definitely wait until your tan sets before putting on any lotion.

4. You will be asked to get naked during your spray tan session. You are allowed to wear underwear or a bathing suit, but we recommend no top and a thong for minimal tan lines and the overall best results.

5. Don’t forget to remove all necklaces, bracelets, rings, and earrings that you may have on before your appointment. This will give you a better spray tan with no awkward jewelry tan lines. Plus, you won’t have to clean tan off your jewelry afterwards!

Happy Tanning Ladies, go get your glows on! HCXO

Alexis DiZenzo is a motivated Connecticut native. She attends Fairfield University where she is majoring in digital journalism and minoring in marketing. She is currently co-campus corespondent of Fairfield's Her Campus chapter. Along with managing Her Campus Fairfield, Alexis has interned with The Secured Lender Magazine, and NBC Sports. She is a contributing writer for Elite Daily as well as Thought Catalog. In the early stages of her college career, Alexis has taken the initiative to reach far among the stars and achieve goals early on. She has a great sense of editing, writing, publishing, marketing and leadership as well as strong interpersonal skills. (And a fun-loving, outgoing personality!) Alexis' favorite book (and movie) is The Great Gatsby, she lives by the words of Carrie Bradshaw and you could definitely find her on a beach, soaking up the sun. Instagram @alexisdizenzo www.alexisfdizenzo.com