5 Makeup Brushes You Actually Need & How You Should Be Using Them

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Good quality makeup brushes are essential to us ~beauty lovers~ out there. Makeup brushes can be expensive and low quality… but have no fear.  Real Techniques brushes are affordable AND high quality. Samantha and Nicola are two sisters that grew up surrounded by makeup, but it was on YouTube where their love for makeup really blossomed… and they were able to share their love with so many people! Their channel, Pixiwoo, immediately blew up. In 2010, when their channel hit 30,000 subscribers, their idea for Real Techniques brushes sparked! These girls know the importance of professional makeup tools and that is why you absolutely ~need~ these 5 brushes:

1. Powder Brush 

Powder brushes are a must have for a sheer, even application of the powder of your choice.  This brush provides for a smooth finish that will keep your face from looking oily throughout the day.

1. Blush Brush 

Another ~essential~ brush is the Real Technique’s blush brush.  This blush brush has a tapered cut so it is insanely easy to use to contour, blend and define your cheeks. It works with both cream and powder blushes!

1. Stippling Brush 

Want a more airbrushed look? Then the Real Technique’s stippling brush is the one for you.  This dual-fiber brush will leave you with the most perfect feathery finish.

1. Sculpting Brush 

This brush is an ~absolute need~ for those of us who love to contour! This brush features a flat, wide head, which is perfect for defined contours.  If you’re looking to add depth to your look, this is the brush for you.

1. Eye Starter Set 

Don’t worry; some of the most important brushes were NOT forgotten… eye shadow brushes! Real Techniques has an amazing starter kit out for eye shadow brushes.  It includes a crease brush, a base shadow brush, a fine liner brush, a brow brush and even a case to keep them all in.  All you need to have the most ~glamorous~ eye look is these brushes in hand!

Victoria Gracie

Fairfield '18

Victoria is a graduate from Fairfield University with a degree in International Business and Marketing. She's from Long Island and has an intense love for New York City. She hopes to travel the world and always lives life with a positive attitude. A few of her obsessions include pizza, dogs, coffee, and fashion. Follow her on Instagram: @vgraciee
Alexis DiZenzo is a motivated Connecticut native. She attends Fairfield University where she is majoring in digital journalism and minoring in marketing. She is currently co-campus corespondent of Fairfield's Her Campus chapter. Along with managing Her Campus Fairfield, Alexis has interned with The Secured Lender Magazine, and NBC Sports. She is a contributing writer for Elite Daily as well as Thought Catalog. In the early stages of her college career, Alexis has taken the initiative to reach far among the stars and achieve goals early on. She has a great sense of editing, writing, publishing, marketing and leadership as well as strong interpersonal skills. (And a fun-loving, outgoing personality!) Alexis' favorite book (and movie) is The Great Gatsby, she lives by the words of Carrie Bradshaw and you could definitely find her on a beach, soaking up the sun. Instagram @alexisdizenzo www.alexisfdizenzo.com