As an incoming freshman, many things scared me about going off to college, but nothing was as terrifying as the thought of gaining the “Freshman 15.” Eating healthy in a dining hall filled with unhealthy and greasy foods would definitely be a difficult task for anyone. The best way to ensure that you’ll stay healthy is to stock your dorm and mini fridge with healthy snacks! Here are some healthy-living hacks you definitely need in your life.
- Skip soda and other sugary drinks, get water and flavored seltzer instead!
- Take some fruit and vegetables on your way out of the dining hall. Healthy veggies line the salad bar so pack some in a little plastic container and save them when you need a snack. There are always apples and bananas in Barone so grab a few for a quick breakfast on the go!
- Invest in 100-calorie pack snacks! It’s pretty impossible to be a college student and cut out junk food altogether, so get some pretzels, popcorn, or other treats and stick to the serving size!
- Buy some to-go spreads. Whether you love peanut butter or humus (or both!) having little to-go containers of them will add protein to any fruit or vegetable.
- Make your own yogurt parfait! When you use a swipe at the dining hall, bring a plastic container with you and fill it with your favorite yogurt, granola, and berries. You can either eat it now or stick it in your mini fridge for later.