This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Spring break is nearly upon us ladies! Whether you are jetting off to a beach or curling up on your couch, here are 5 great reads for your much anticipated (and needed) leisure time.

1. Crazy Rich Asians, recently adapted into a movie and was a huge success. Also, side note it was originally a book written by Kevin Kwan in 2013. Whether you want to read the book before you see the movie, or have already fallen in love with the story and want to see where it came from, we consider this a must read. Follow the courageous Rachel Chu to Singapore to meet her boyfriend, Nick Young’s literally crazy, rich family and read about all the drama.

2. A Thousand Splendid Suns is definitely a more serious read, but a great one. This book tells the story of two strong Afghan women whose lives briefly cross paths during some of the most controversial times in Afghanistan. This story deals with a roller-coaster of emotions and is an ~absolute~ page-turner!

3. You’re a Bad A*s is a self-help book for college girls, and we ten out of ten recommend! This book will help you become more self-aware and legitimately figure out life. It will help you gain the confidence to achieve your goals and not let anything or anyone get in your way.  It is empowering and helps every girl channel her inner #girlboss. We’d say it’s an absolute must-read for trying to tackle college and eventually adulting.

4. A Spark of Light is not the only must-reads of  Jodi Picoult’s. She’s best known for “My Sisters Keeper.” A Spark of Light deals with potential tragedy.  The story follows a hostage situation in a women’s reproductive health center. A pro-life protestor disguises herself as a patient and then opens fire in the clinic. While going through the events hour by hour on that fatal day, this story tackles controversial issues and pushes questions of right versus wrong.  

5. Where the Crawdads Sing is a more modern coming-of-age story. It’s about a handsome small-town boy on the North Carolina coast. Spoiler alert: he goes missing, and the first obvious suspect is the girl that lives alone in the marsh, right?  As Kya Clark begins to emerge from the marsh and her beauty gains the attention of the men in the town, the whole story changes. This is a heartbreaking story of potential murder and one that you will not want to put down.

Happy Spring Break Ladies ~Enjoy~ Reading!

Alexis DiZenzo is a motivated Connecticut native. She attends Fairfield University where she is majoring in digital journalism and minoring in marketing. She is currently co-campus corespondent of Fairfield's Her Campus chapter. Along with managing Her Campus Fairfield, Alexis has interned with The Secured Lender Magazine, and NBC Sports. She is a contributing writer for Elite Daily as well as Thought Catalog. In the early stages of her college career, Alexis has taken the initiative to reach far among the stars and achieve goals early on. She has a great sense of editing, writing, publishing, marketing and leadership as well as strong interpersonal skills. (And a fun-loving, outgoing personality!) Alexis' favorite book (and movie) is The Great Gatsby, she lives by the words of Carrie Bradshaw and you could definitely find her on a beach, soaking up the sun. Instagram @alexisdizenzo www.alexisfdizenzo.com