5 Books Every Collegiette Needs to Read

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Reading for fun tends to get lost in the shuffle of our hectic schedules and growing list of TV shows to binge watch. I’m guilty of it too, Collegiettes. I usually opt for doing some extra homework or scrolling through Instagram for hours on end rather than reading a book. However, books teach us valuable lessons about ourselves and leave an impact on our lives – unlike Snapchat stories. Whether you need a good book to get you back into the habit of reading or a new book to add to your endless reading list, here are some must-reads that every Collegiette should check out!

Milk and Honey by Rupi Kaur

There’s a reason why everyone has been talking about this book for the past few years! Rupi Kaur’s raw and relatable poetry is broken down into four chapters: the hurting, the loving, the breaking, and the healing, and each one will resonate with you after you read it. If you’re looking for a book that will be a source of support and comfort, Milk and Honey is the way to go!

Why Not Me? By Mindy Kaling

We all know her from “The Office” and “The Mindy Project,” but Mindy Kaling’s memoir, Why Not Me? shows readers the real, unfiltered Mindy. The memoir covers everything about her life including falling in love at work, making new friends, and navigating through Hollywood when she doesn’t fit the normal archetype. Her comedic and easy-to-read narration of her own anxieties and experiences makes the reader feel like they’re just having a conversation with her new BFF, Mindy Kaling!

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

Pride and Prejudice is so much more than an assigned reading for your senior year of high school English class! Satirical writing is a staple in every Austen novel, and this one is no different. Not only is this novel an easy and relatable read considering its age, but it also stresses the importance of friendships, happiness, and love.

Little Women by Louisa May Alcott

This classic American novel explores the ever-present themes of sisterhood, friendship, love, and self-discovery. It follows the lives of the March sisters from childhood to adulthood during the Civil-War era and depicts how each woman discovers who she is and what makes her happy. Little Women is a great novel for a woman of any age, but Collegiettes will definitely appreciate how daunting it can be to find your path, like the March sisters.  

Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson

If you’re looking for a heavier read, Speak is the perfect novel for you. This young adult novel tells the story of a high school student coping with the trauma of sexual assault. The vivid imagery, language, and plot structure makes reading this novel a deep eye-opening experience.

Alexis DiZenzo is a motivated Connecticut native. She attends Fairfield University where she is majoring in digital journalism and minoring in marketing. She is currently co-campus corespondent of Fairfield's Her Campus chapter. Along with managing Her Campus Fairfield, Alexis has interned with The Secured Lender Magazine, and NBC Sports. She is a contributing writer for Elite Daily as well as Thought Catalog. In the early stages of her college career, Alexis has taken the initiative to reach far among the stars and achieve goals early on. She has a great sense of editing, writing, publishing, marketing and leadership as well as strong interpersonal skills. (And a fun-loving, outgoing personality!) Alexis' favorite book (and movie) is The Great Gatsby, she lives by the words of Carrie Bradshaw and you could definitely find her on a beach, soaking up the sun. Instagram @alexisdizenzo www.alexisfdizenzo.com