4 Ways to Make Your College Relationship Last

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

College relationships? Been there, done that. Whether it is trying to maintain your own or hearing out your roommate’s relationship drama, it’s a complete roller coaster ride. We’ve all been exposed to it. Think you’ve found the one? Just wait. The biggest struggle of all is trying to balance schoolwork with your social life, personal life, sleep schedule and finding the time to take care of yourself… all while maintaining a relationship with your significant other. Maybe you’re trying to maneuver a long distance relationship, or you’ve gotten really close to someone you happened to hook up with at the Townhouses one weekend. Regardless of how you met, sustaining a relationship in college can be very difficult and stressful. So, here are some tips that can help you get through what may seem to be your hardest days.

Communication: 
Communication is the ultimate necessity when managing any kind of relationship in college We know that once you get to college, classes, work, and your social life start to kick in. In order to keep your relationship on healthy terms, you need to take time out of your day to communicate with your significant other. It does not have to be every hour, but it is healthy to give them a call so you can update each other on your day. A suggestion would be to FaceTime or Skype every now and then, so you can physically see each other while conversing. Communication is the primary key to a happy and healthy relationship.

Partnership/Commitment
: This goes both ways. Both of you need to be engaged and willing to sustain your relationship and look forward to seeing each other, even if that means visiting him or her for a weekend at school. You also need to be on the same page as far as wants and needs. A good idea to change things up would be to send each other a written letter every now and then (everyone loves getting mail)! And who doesn’t love a cute surprise? If his favorite restaurant is Chipotle send a sweet gift card his way so he can have one of his favorite meals and maybe he’ll return the gesture with a beautiful bouquet of flowers.

Respect/Trust: You want a night out with the girls at the townhouses, get dressed up and have some fun, but you’re afraid of your guy getting jealous or worried about another person sweeping you off your feet. That’s where trust comes into play. Trust is the strong base of a relationship; a relationship without trust has no solid ground. Respect their space and they’ll respect yours back. Mutual respect and trust will strengthen your relationship and make it last through college, and you will still be able to have fun and get the most out of your experience at school.

Freedom:
 Keep in mind that the relationship itself does not make you who you are; it is not your life. A relationship is composed of two individuals that complement and love one another. You each have your own likes and dislikes, and as healthy as keeping constant communication is, it is also healthy to have some personal time. Dedicate some time to yourself every once in a while and give your significant other time for themselves, too. Some time apart to do individual activities can make up good conversations to catch up over dinner. A balance between space and togetherness strengthens any relationship.

A strong relationship in college is based off of multiple different factors. College will truly prove to you just how strong you are as an individual, and show you how humble and dedicated you are when you are able to balance a relationship on top of the hundreds of other things that get tossed your way. It will also prove whether or not the two of you are meant to be. Don’t get hung up on your relationship. If it is meant to be, it will be.

Amanda McKelvey is a Co-Campus Correspondent and a senior at Fairfield University. She is a Journalism major with minors in Psychology and Communications. In addition to being a CC she has held internships with Michael Kors, CollegeFashionista.com and the Rockville Centre and Baldwin Heralds. In her free time, Amanda enjoys days on the beaches of Long Island, watching Scandal, Chicago Fire and the Bachelorette, eating anything sweet (chocolate, ice cream, cupcakes—you name it!) and reading a good book. She’s excited to spend her senior year living at Fairfield Beach with her best friends including fellow CC Danielle Tullo! You can follow her on Twitter @theAMANDAshowww or on Instagram @ammckelvey.