The 4 Emotional Stages of Accepting Zayn Malik Leaving One Dirction

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Do you feel like the world is coming to an end? Are you unsure about how you will go on? You must be suffering from the Zayn Malik is leaving One Direction news. Zayn took to Twitter yesterday and released a statement saying he has decided to leave 1D. To prevent millions of teenage girls from not being able to continue their lives, he did say that One direction will still continue recording with the remaining four band members; Niall Horan, Harry Styles, Liam Payne, and Louis Tomlinson. In this time of grief we all need to come together, and be each other’s moral support in order to make it through the 4 emotional stages of handling Zayn’s departure.

1. DenialNo doubt this is the first emotion you will feel when you discover the heart breaking news. You go on Twitter and Facebook like any other day, and see the head line “Zayn in Leaving 1D”. You stop cold and your jaw drops. You are in absolute disbelief, and these thoughts likely cross your mind; this cannot be true!? Someone must have hacked his account! You sit there somewhat calmly pondering all the reasons why this is lie until the next stage kicks in.

2. Confusion/PanicPure confusion begins to take over all your thoughts as you let this new information sink in. You begin to think of all the possible reasons that this is happening. Just a few days ago he left the Band’s Asian On the Road Tour. Also, Zayn’, and Little Mix member, Perrie Edwards’s relationship has been on the rocks following some cheating accusations. You realize maybe it is true as you hold back tears.

3. AngerAs your eyes start to fill with tears, you begin to feel an incredible amount of rage spread throughout your body. You have been a devoted fan since day one, watched all their X factor episodes, bought every album, and seen them in concert (probably more than once)! How could he do this to me? Or even worse how can he do this to the band? These anger filled questions brings us to feel the final emotional stage.  

4. Depression/HibernationThis is the stage you feel when reality sets in. One direction is not just a band, it is a life style and one fifth of it is gone forever….how must we go on?! The only solution to get through this awful grieving period is to curl up in bed with a pint of Ben and Jerry’s, and watch the One Direction concert movie, This is Us, on repeat. If we can get through the break ups of NSYNC and Back Street Boys, we can get through anything. #ZaynMalikforever

Danielle was previously the Deputy Editor at Her Campus, where she oversaw social and content strategy, lifestyle, beauty, fashion, news, and entertainment. Prior to joining Her Campus, Danielle worked at House Beautiful as Senior Lifestyle Editor, directing and producing feature videos and stories. Danielle also served as Snapchat Editor at Cosmopolitan, overseeing the brands daily Snapchat Discover channel. In 2016, she launched Cosmo Bites — which is now the official food and beverage vertical at Cosmopolitan. That same year, Danielle was named as a Rising Star in the digital media industry by FOLIO Magazine. Danielle got her start in digital media by launching the Her Campus chapter at Fairfield University in 2014, where she acted as Campus Correspondent for 2.5 years, before graduating with a degree in English and creative writing. She enjoys wine, food, and long walks through HomeGoods. Follow Danielle on Instagram!