2016 Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree Lighting

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

The 84th annual Rockefeller Center Tree Lighting took place this past Wednesday in the heart of New York City. Thousands of people crowded the streets to catch a glimpse of the 94×56 foot Norwegian Spruce in all its glory. This year’s tree includes approximately 50,000 multi-colored LED lights. The Swarovski star shines on the very top as the finishing touch. For everyone at home, the event was broadcasted live by NBC with hosts Matt Lauer, Savannah Guthrie, Al Roker, and Hoda Kotb.

In addition to admiring the tree’s beauty, viewers were treated with live performances. Our favorite artists and musicians came together to spread holiday cheer through song. Tori Kelly, Sarah McLachlan, Josh Groban, and Tony Bennet were just a few of the headliners present. A touch of country music was incorporated into the celebration as well with performances by Garth Brooks, Trisha Yearwood, and Dolly Parton. We can’t forget about the amazing Radio City Rockettes who danced ever so beautifully and in sync. Saturday Night Live stars Alec Baldwin and Kate McKinnon were given the honor of officially lighting the tree.

Even with torrential rain and freezing temperatures, the crowds responded with energy and enthusiasm for the holiday season. It was truly a night filled with joyous spirits!

The tree will remain lit until January 7, 2017 at 9 P.M. Make sure to stop by in person if you can! 

Hi, my name is Emily and I’m a Communications Major with Minors in Art History and Sociology at Fairfield U. I have a passion for all things fashion, beauty, cooking, and fitness. I am a foodie at heart and am always looking for new recipes or restaurants to try. Editorial writing and social media managing are just a couple of my specialties! 
Gabriella is currently a junior at Fairfield University, where she is majoring in Marketing and minoring in Communications. She is Co-Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Fairfield with her roomie/best friend Pamela Grant! Gab can most likely be found with a Venti Starbs in hand, while wearing obnoxiously large sunnies (no shame), reading the most recent issue of Glamour Mag.