15 Ways to Cheer Up When Life Gets the Best of You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Everyone has those days where nothing seems to go their way. It might be failing the test you thought you spent hours studying for, spilling coffee on your favorite shirt, or fighting with your best friend. It’s more than okay to feel sad, but don’t let it ruin your entire day. You can always fix it by talking to your mom, or eating that pint of ice cream you’ve been hiding in your freezer for weeks. Whatever it may take, it will only get better with time and maybe a few of these ways:  

Step back and reflect Sometimes it’s best to think about what made you feel sad in the first place and get to the root of the problem.

Talk to your friends or family Having a great support system is key; like your mom, sister, brother, or BFF’s. Whoever your support system may be, they will always be there with open arms and will listen to whatever it is you have to say. 

Cuddle with your pets Cuddling with my dog always makes me feel better. Somehow animals can always sense when you’re feeling down so grab your cat or dog and snuggle away. (If you don’t have a pet, steal your friends, or a stuffed animal will do.) 

Look at pictures of cute animals Speaking of pets, why don’t you look up some cute images of pets on Google or watch funny pet videos. If that doesn’t cheer you up, I don’t know what will! 

Listen to music

Listening to music is a great way to rewind and reflect. Music can put you in a better mood and make you feel less alone. So put on your favorite Justin Bieber tune, and just relax. 

Go for a walk or run Exercise is always a great stress reliever and is the perfect time to think about what has been going on in your life. 

Eat a pint of ice cream After you exercise treat yo self to your favorite ice cream. Or skip the exercising all together and go right for the pint. And remember: calories don’t count when you’re sad.

Bake Baking can help distract you from all the negative thoughts running through your head. Plus you’ll have a delicious treat waiting for you along with that ice cream. 

Laugh As the saying goes, “Life is better when you are laughing.” Put on your favorite comedy movie or watch funny animal videos to have a good laugh. 

Have a good cry We all need a good cry once in a while. 

Take a long, hot shower Nothing like a shower to think about your thoughts  

Have a hot cup of coffee, tea, or hot chocolate Nothing like a warm cup of goodness to cheer yourself up. So sit back on your couch and just relax. 

Put on comfy clothes There’s honestly nothing better than lounging around in baggy sweats, and if that doesn’t make you feel better…

Take a nap Once you’re in your comfiest clothes or pajamas, there’s no better time than to take a nap. I promise you’ll wake up feeling much better. 

Breathe Just breathe and think positive thoughts. Breathing will help calm you down and is a great way to distress. 

Pamela is currently in her senior year at Fairfield Univerity where she is majoring in management. In her free time she enjoys working out, spending time with friends and family and binge watching reality television. *guilty*.... Follow her on instagram! @pamelagrant