brett jordan fmqhTMu4IVU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
brett jordan fmqhTMu4IVU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The 15 Stages of Unfollowing Someone on Instagram

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

In a world where your Instagram ratio seems more important than the degree you are earning in college, following the right people really seems like a must. However, let’s face it, we all continue to follow specific people on social media out of either 1) guilt because they are an old friend that we don’t want to kick out of our social media lives just yet or 2) because we haven’t planned out when to actually kick them out and are waiting for the perfect moment. Don’t get me wrong; only certain Instagrammers need to get out of our lives ASAP. Here are the stages of deciding how/when/why to unfollow somebody on Instagram.

1. You scroll through your Instagram feed, and pass their thousandth selfie or picture with their boyfriend. *Rolls eyes in disgust*

2. You ignore the fact that they are so annoying, and refuse to throw them a quality “like,” and DEFINITELY not a comment. This should give them the hint you’re getting fed up with their #instagame.

3. You sit there with your phone in hand, and reflect on why you haven’t hit that unfollow button yet. Are they a friend? A co-worker? A high-school peer? Someone you met at the bar and insisted on exchanging Instagram handles with? A random? Who knows?

4. You decide to give said person one more chance. You promise yourself that if their next Instagram post isn’t one that is socially acceptable, you will finally unfollow them. 

5.  *Two days later* After a long day of classes, you decide to check Instagram.

6. You scroll slowly through pictures of your besties and nice sunsets, and you feel yourself approaching a post from someone on the verge of expulsion from your account.

7.  You see their handle begin to appear on the bottom of your screen, and remind yourself of the deal you made earlier that week (see point 4).

8. To your dismay (and not surprise), it is yet another selfie. 

9. You click on his/her account, and prepare for the “unfollow”. 

10. You question yourself one last time, and know that this action may result in repercussions.

11. You tell yourself that you are making the right decision, and that kicking them out of your insta life will de-stress you and make you feel better. *Hits the unfollow button*

13. You get anxiety, knowing that they will check their account and see that they have lost a follower.

14. You question whether they have that handy dandy app or not that will let them know that it was you that unfollowed them.

15. You hope for the best, knowing that they may unfollow you back—and you will lose that 1 like on all of your future pictures.

Follow Alyssa on Instagram!                                               

Hey ladies! I'm Alyssa Vicari, a loyal Long Islander from Fairfield's class of 2018. I am a sophomore finance major and marketing minor who loves everything about the fall and everything about coffee. When I'm not studying or writing for HC, you can probably find me at the beach, the mall, watching Netflix, or doing any other thing that #basic college girls enjoy. Follow me on Twitter and Instagram @alyssavicari !
Gabriella is currently a junior at Fairfield University, where she is majoring in Marketing and minoring in Communications. She is Co-Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Fairfield with her roomie/best friend Pamela Grant! Gab can most likely be found with a Venti Starbs in hand, while wearing obnoxiously large sunnies (no shame), reading the most recent issue of Glamour Mag.