14 Reasons We Need to Thank Our Freshman Year Roomies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Let’s face it: We were all hoping that we wouldn’t arrive on move in day to find a crazy new roomie who resembled Rebecca from the The Roommate. For some of us we became best friends and for others it was a lesson on how to live with someone new. Let’s all take a moment to thank the first people we lived with while making one of the biggest transitions of our lives and still putting up with us anyways. 

1. For giving you the last slice of cheesy bread. 

2. For the endless nights of sitting with you while when you cry and vent over boys, homesickness, or high school drama.

3. For bringing you soup (and Lysol to disinfect) when you were sick. 

4. Throwing pillows at you while you sleep through your alarm.

5. For getting you a mini-cake and balloon on your birthday. 

6. For not judging you for eating the whole bag of Pirate’s Booty (or maybe two). 

7. For staying up with you late because you couldn’t stop talking that one time. Oh yeah, and that other time.

8. For totally understanding how much you need these new clothes online while also pity crying with you when you look at your bank account balance.

9. Because even though you guys have the same “good side,” she always let you stand on that end for pictures.

10. For not complaining when you would sing way off tune and dance along to Taylor Swift’s latest hit. 

11. For posting a #wcw of you because clearly that kid you were talking to never expressed his interest over social media. 

12. For stalking all of your high school friends on Facebook so she could understand when you told endless stories about them. 

13. For not killing you when you leave two weeks worth of laundry all over the floor of your 11×14 room.

14. But most importantly, for being your rock and someone you knew you could turn to for anything as you transitioned into college. 

Amanda McKelvey is a Co-Campus Correspondent and a senior at Fairfield University. She is a Journalism major with minors in Psychology and Communications. In addition to being a CC she has held internships with Michael Kors, CollegeFashionista.com and the Rockville Centre and Baldwin Heralds. In her free time, Amanda enjoys days on the beaches of Long Island, watching Scandal, Chicago Fire and the Bachelorette, eating anything sweet (chocolate, ice cream, cupcakes—you name it!) and reading a good book. She’s excited to spend her senior year living at Fairfield Beach with her best friends including fellow CC Danielle Tullo! You can follow her on Twitter @theAMANDAshowww or on Instagram @ammckelvey.