14 Feminist Quotes We Should All Live By

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Feminism is the f-word that no one dares to bring up in conversation, that most people avoid discussing, and that a lot of people don’t really understand. I’m not afraid to say I’m a feminist, and you shouldn’t be either. No one should be ashamed to talk about his or her beliefs, and these 14 quotes are a great way to start a conversation about feminism.

“The more I have realized that fighting for women’s rights has too often become synonymous with man-hating. If there is one thing I know for certain, it is that this has to stop. For the record, feminism, by definition, is the belief that men and women should have equal rights and opportunities. It is the theory of the political, economic, and social equality of the sexes.” -Emma Watson

“I am a woman with thoughts and questions and shit to say. I say if I’m beautiful. I say if I’m strong. You will not determine my story—I will.” -Amy Schumer

“Feminists believe that men and women should have the same opportunities. If you are a feminist, you believe in equal rights as a whole. That’s not a concept you can really shoot down.” -Lena Dunham

“I myself have never been able to find out precisely what feminism is: I only know that people call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments that differentiate me from a doormat.” -Rebecca West

“Though we have the courage to raise our daughters like our sons, we’ve rarely had the courage to raise our sons like our daughters.” -Gloria Steinem

“I feel that all revolutionary causes should start with addressing misogyny.” -Ezra Miller

“I’m not ashamed to dress ‘like a woman’ because I don’t think it’s shameful to be a woman.” -Iggy Pop

“I think being a feminist simply means you believe in equal rights, and I think if you ask anybody if they believe in equal rights, they’ll say yes, man or woman. And if they don’t—who they heck would say that?” -Leighton Meester

“I just love bossy women. I could be around them all day. To me, bossy is not a pejorative term at all. It means somebody’s passionate and engaged and ambitious and doesn’t mind leading.” -Amy Poehler 

“Feminism isn’t about making women strong. Women are already strong. It’s about changing the way the world perceives that strength.” -G.D. Anderson

“Feminism is the radical nation that women are human beings.” -Cheris Kramerae

“Why are we viewed as less than equal? These old attitudes are drilled into us from the very beginning. We have to teach our boys the rules of equality and respect, so that as they grow up, gender equality becomes a natural way of life. And we have to teach our girls that they can reach as high as humanly possible.” – Beyoncé

“Other people will call me a rebel. But I just feel like I’m living my life and doing what I want to do. Sometimes people call that rebellion, especially when you’re a woman.” -Joan Jett

“Feminism has fought no wars. It has no opponents. It has set up no concentration camps, starved no enemies, practiced no cruelties. Its battles have been for education, for the vote, for better working conditions, for safety in the streets, for child care, for social welfare, for rape crisis centres, women’s refuges, reforms in the law. If someone says, “Oh, I’m not a feminist”, I ask, ‘Why? What’s your problem?’” – Dale Spender

Follow Shana on Twitter!

Shana is currently a senior at Fairfield University where she majors in English with a Journalism concentration and minors in Marketing and Women, Gender, and Sexuality Studies.       
Gabriella is currently a junior at Fairfield University, where she is majoring in Marketing and minoring in Communications. She is Co-Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Fairfield with her roomie/best friend Pamela Grant! Gab can most likely be found with a Venti Starbs in hand, while wearing obnoxiously large sunnies (no shame), reading the most recent issue of Glamour Mag.