11 Struggles Only Girls With Thick Hair Understand

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Us thick haired girls are relatively lucky; having a lack of volume is never an issue for us. However, at times we can relate to Mia Thermopolis from The Princess Diaries far too well. Here are 11 struggles only girls with thick hair will understand.

1. You’ve probably broken a hair tie or two. And even worse is when they break at the gym. Or when you can’t find another one on your wrist. Or both.

2. And maybe even a hairbrush.

Why can’t we all our own private Paolo?!

3. Washing your hair is downright exhausting. 

Sometimes, I question if washing my hair is even tougher than my latest arm workout at the gym.

4. And using any kind of heat on it takes even longer. 

Quickly curling your hair before going out? Forget about it. You have accepted the fact that in order for your hair to straighten or curl, you have to devote at least an hour of your time to the process.

5. Hearing “you have so much hair!” is pretty much the norm.

They are just jealous, probably. ~They wish they had these locks~~.

6. Being a triangle head is inevitable if you don’t get your hair cut regularly or it is cut too short.

Oh, the horror. 

7. You always run out of conditioner before shampoo.

The “dime size” amount of conditioner that your hairdresser tells you to use just is not cutting it. How do people get away with using so little, anyways? I just don’t understand it.

8. You are practically ~related~ to Monica Geller in the Hawaii episode of Friends.

The heat is most definitely not your friend. 

9. And being in the heat without a hair tie?

It is time to just throw in the towel. All hope you had of a “nice hair day” is gone.

10. Your clothes are always covered in your hair.

“Do you have a dog or something?” “No, I just shed a lot.” 

11. But as much as you love to hate your thick hair, you always get compliments on it.

Aileen is a senior communication major and marketing minor who resides in Westchester, NY. She is a Executive Features Editor at Her Campus Fairfield and loves online shopping, snuggling with her dog, and working out. the Follow her on Instagram @aklindy!
Gabriella is currently a junior at Fairfield University, where she is majoring in Marketing and minoring in Communications. She is Co-Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Fairfield with her roomie/best friend Pamela Grant! Gab can most likely be found with a Venti Starbs in hand, while wearing obnoxiously large sunnies (no shame), reading the most recent issue of Glamour Mag.