11 Lessons “The Bachelor” Has Taught Me

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

They say the first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem….so here it goes…I am a HUGE Bachelor/Bachelorette fan and a card carrying member of BachelorNation. There I said it, but the thing is I still don’t see it as a problem and I’m not looking for a recovery plan despite what many think of the show’s premise and authenticity. I will admit many of the things that happen on the show are a bit over the top and it is hard to believe that these girls and guys are “in love” after knowing the person for only 2 weeks. 

If you watch the show for as many seasons as I have, you can’t help but learn a few things about the dating world and what to do when you are out there or maybe what not to do.  Here are some of the lessons that the #bachelornation has taught me. 

It Is Totally Acceptable to Have An Entire Bottle of Wine the First Time You Meet the Guy You Are Trying to Marry 

I’m not saying you can’t have a glass of wine to ease the nerves the first time you meet your Bachelor or Bachelorette, as it must be a totally nerve-wracking experience. But on the premiere of the show someone ALWAYS drinks too much. Have they never seen the show before?! If you drink too much on the first night it does not bode well for you. You will typically be sent home. While this may play out well for the viewers at home, it will not impress the person’s attention you are trying to get. 

Lesson Learned: Stick to 1- 2 glasses of pinot on your first date.  

Your First Date Must Be Extravagant  Everyone gets a helicopter date.  Seriously, it looks like fun but you can’t possibly get to know someone when you are wearing goofy headphones and talking into a microphone with the nagging fear there is a possibility of falling thousands of feet to your death. Sure it might give you an excuse to cuddle, but is it really worth it in the end?

Lesson learned: Stick to dinner ONLY on the first date.

Group Dates Never End Well 

It’s safe to say that it will always be hard to date a guy that’s dating more than one girl…. But in this case not only do you know about it but you also have to live with them. These girls act like they never imagined the process would have been this hard. On top of the “if 3’s a crowd, 7 is a circus” factor, these dates usually consist of playing some sort of game or participating in an embarrassing activity. Not the ideal way to get to know someone.

Lesson Learned: Date a guy that’s only dating you. 

Apparently Guys Like Crazy

Every season without fail, the crazy girl is always kept way longer than she should be. Do the producers force them to do this? We may never know but my money is on yes! Other girls in the house will even warn the bachelor about said crazy girl but it does not stop the bachelor from giving them a rose.

Lesson Learned: The element of surprise can ignite any relationship.  

Nothing is Ever Okay 

Remember when Andi freaked out when Juan Pablo kept telling her “it’s okay” glossing over her feelings and opinions?! America felt the same way but he should have known better than to assume that things are ever just okay in The Bachelor World. It’s not okay Juan Pablo! Okay? Okay!

Lesson Learned: Don’t be afraid to say what’s on your mind. 

Being Unlovable is A Thing and Common in the Bachelor World 

Every season there is always someone who feels like they are incapable of love. Including this current season it is the bachelor himself which I’ll never understand because Ben Higgins is a total catch! If these totally eligible bachelor and bachelorettes feel this way, is there really any hope for the rest of us?

Lesson Learned: The right person will enter your life when you least expect it.   

You Can Have Any Career You Want 

It’s amazing the different type of jobs that are available to us and, regardless what job you have, it does not mean that you are an ineligible bachelor or bachelorette. There have been a ton of different careers throughout the years. Everyone from a fashion designer, a wrestler, dog walker, and even “twins” have been featured.

Lesson Learned: I want to pursue a career as a professional ice cream taster and it’s okay! 

Sparkle is Apparently A Thing That Can Be Stolen  Remember Tierra from Sean Lowe’s season?  By the way, she was another one of the totally crazy girls that stayed way too long. Anyway, she always told the girls they “couldn’t take her sparkle” whatever that means. I’m just happy that she was eventually eliminated. 

Lesson Learned: Our sparkles should always remain in tact.

Every Year Holds Something New 

Every season claims to be the most controversial season yet, but it never really gets too unpredictable. Yet, I still look forward to watching the craziest season yet.

Lesson Learned: Every year of your life should be more exciting than the last. 

Some People Just Shouldn’t Talk 

Season after season people say things that they think are deep, but makes the viewers at home cringe. Not only that, but you can just tell it’s not what the bachelor or bachelorette needed to hear in that moment.

Lesson Learned: Be yourself and don’t try too hard. 

Guys Are Capable of Saying Sweet Things 

Although a lot of guys that come on the show are total ~jerks~ some of them will surprise you and make you believe in love. These are my favorite moments on the show and make you feel like your prince charming is out there somewhere.

Lesson Learned: Never lose faith in love. 

Pamela is currently in her senior year at Fairfield Univerity where she is majoring in management. In her free time she enjoys working out, spending time with friends and family and binge watching reality television. *guilty*.... Follow her on instagram! @pamelagrant