10 Uses of a Bullet Journal

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

One of my many obsessions is lists. I write a list for almost everything I do; whether it be a to-do list, a bucket list, or a list of movies I want to watch. So, when I heard about bullet journals I immediately became obsessed.

For those of you who don’t know a bullet journal is, you’re about to get your mind blown. A bullet journal is notebook that you format yourself. Because you organize it by yourself, you can choose what you want to use it for and make sure that all your lists end up in one place. While it can be more time consuming than just buying a planner, it can help you become more organized and let your creative side shine. If you need some help starting your own bullet journal, here are a few ideas of what to use it for:

1. Calendar/daily planner: One thing that I love about my own bullet journal is that I can set up my calendar and schedule in a way that works for me. You can draw out your own calendar and structure your daily schedules or to-do lists however you please.

2. Track your favorite things: Whether it be your favorite movies, places, books, or anything else you love, you can keep track of them all in one place.

3. Daily thoughts: Your bullet journal can also take the place of a regular diary or journal. You can log how your day, week, or month went, or write down anything else that pops into your head.

4. People’s birthdays: I love this idea because sometimes dates are just so hard to memorize! This makes things ten times easier and keeps everything in one easy-to-find place.

5. Bucket list: A bullet journal is the perfect place to dream about all the adventures you want to take in the future. You can make different lists for different months or seasons and keep them somewhere you know you can look at them often!

6. Movies to watch/books to read: Do you ever forget the name of a movie or book your friend recommended? I know I do, which is why making a list can be really useful, especially when you’re wondering what to watch next on Netflix.

7. Tracking purposes: Bullet journals can be useful for keeping track of behaviors over a long period of time. You can track how much you’ve exercised, how much water you drink a day, what your mood was like, and so much more!

8. Goals: You can also make pages for goals, whether it be things you want to accomplish that day, or month, or even at some point in the future. You can keep track of tangible goals like saving money, or conceptual goals like mental health or relationships.

9. Travel log: Keep track of all the countries or states you want to visit one day. You can also use it when you travel to keep track of all the things you want to do and write about your experiences!  

10. Planning meals: One of the hardest things about being a college student is having to cook for yourself. You can use your bullet journal to plan your shopping lists, write down your favorite recipes, and plan when you will have time to cook.

These are just a few of the great things you can do with your bullet journal! If you’re nervous about starting no worries! Click here for an awesome video that shows you how easy getting started can be. Good luck and happy journaling!

Molly Concannon

Fairfield '20

Molly Concannon is a Jersey girl through and through. She attends Fairfield University where she is majoring in Finance and Public Relations. This is her fourth year on the Her Campus team! She is also slightly obsessed with libraries, reading, and Disney movies, and she definitely will try to pet any dogs she sees.
Alexis DiZenzo is a motivated Connecticut native. She attends Fairfield University where she is majoring in digital journalism and minoring in marketing. She is currently co-campus corespondent of Fairfield's Her Campus chapter. Along with managing Her Campus Fairfield, Alexis has interned with The Secured Lender Magazine, and NBC Sports. She is a contributing writer for Elite Daily as well as Thought Catalog. In the early stages of her college career, Alexis has taken the initiative to reach far among the stars and achieve goals early on. She has a great sense of editing, writing, publishing, marketing and leadership as well as strong interpersonal skills. (And a fun-loving, outgoing personality!) Alexis' favorite book (and movie) is The Great Gatsby, she lives by the words of Carrie Bradshaw and you could definitely find her on a beach, soaking up the sun. Instagram @alexisdizenzo www.alexisfdizenzo.com