10 Things Siblings With A Large Age Gap Understand

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

I’m lucky enough to have four siblings, two brothers and two sisters. My older brother is 26, only four years older, and my younger sister is 15, six years younger. While those age gaps are sort of big, it doesn’t compare to those between my two youngest siblings and myself. With my father’s second marriage I was lucky enough to gain two new siblings, one brother was born in 2006 and my youngest sister was born in 2012. That means that at 22, I am twelve years older than my little brother and eighteen years older than my little sister. The biggest age gap, however, is between my oldest brother and baby sister, 22 years. I love having baby siblings, but it’s definitely a unique experience. 

1.You’re at different phases in your life

With my baby sister being a literal infant, my little brother in the fourth grade, my sister a freshman in high school and my brother in his mid-twenties, it’s interesting to see how each one of us navigates through the different stages in our lives. And when any of us gets nervous with the inevitable changes that come from entering kindergarten, middle school or high school, we have someone to talk to because one of us has been there before.

2.The older siblings are jealous of how lenient our parents have become

If I compare my high school experience with my sister’s, my mom lets her do things I would never be allowed to do! She got a cell phone two full years before I did, which is the definition of unfair. The line, “You never would have let me do that in high school,” has become a family staple.

3.Strangers think you were a teen-mom

I was 18 years old when my baby sister was born, and we look alike. I’ve gotten many, “Oh is that your daughter? She’s so cute.” The polite, “Thank you, but she’s my sister,” is always appropriate.

4.You experience the “super-hero,” “racecar,” or “Disney Princess” phase all over again

My little sister is a Frozen fanatic. Any sister bonding involves either watching the movie or playing the sound track.

5.You’re always up to date with what the high school kids are up to

I don’t know about everyone else, but I had no idea what a “finsta” account was until my 15 year old sister insisted that it was imperative that I follow hers.

6.You get to experience, and remember, every moment of their childhood

I remember the moment my little siblings were born, and how weird it felt to hold a baby that was only a few hours old in my arms. You were there for their first day of school, and definitely took pictures like a proud mom would!

7.You look forward to introducing your siblings to your favorite songs and movies

My younger siblings were too little to remember, or be alive for, the musical geniuses that were N*Sync, Backstreet Boys and Britney Spears. But there’s no need to worry, I will lead them down the right path.

8.You still manage to fight

Just because my little brother is nine does not mean we don’t fight. I love him to death, but he’s so annoying sometimes!

9.You like to think that you’re wise so you have no problem dishing out advice

Just because I’m 22 doesn’t mean I don’t remember how hard fourth grade was or how stressful high school can be. They should listen to me because it’s a worldwide truth that the older sister is always right.

10.You love them and wouldn’t change anything for the world

My older brother and I can attest to the fact that having baby siblings is the best! It’s crazy to see how these little humans change, they have the opportunity of becoming the coolest kids and your closest friends. 

I'm a senior Politics major with English and Women, Gender, and Sexuality studies minors. My passions include reading, writing, and Dunkin Donuts iced coffee. You can find me binge watching Netflix or loudly singing along to my newest music obsession.
Gabriella is currently a junior at Fairfield University, where she is majoring in Marketing and minoring in Communications. She is Co-Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Fairfield with her roomie/best friend Pamela Grant! Gab can most likely be found with a Venti Starbs in hand, while wearing obnoxiously large sunnies (no shame), reading the most recent issue of Glamour Mag.