The 10 Reasons Why Your Mom Becomes Your Best Friend in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

1. You can’t go a day without texting or calling her. It’s weird not being in contact with her because she is your support system. You also think it’s weird when people don’t text their Mom the second that they wake up.

2. Speaking of being a support system, your mom is your biggest confidant. She spends countless hours listening to your problems and offering advice. Whether it’s about you potentially changing your major or about the boy who didn’t treat you so nicely, she will be right there helping you through every step of the way.

3. She is your biggest cheerleader…ever. She wants you to succeed and achieve all of your dreams. She wants nothing more than to see you with a smile and laughing. When you’re sad, she’s sad.  

4. She tells you exactly how it is. She doesn’t feel the need to sugar coat things. These doses of tough love may be hard to hear sometimes but in the end you’re extremely grateful for them.

5. She is your personal defender. Even though we are in college, Mom will always come to your defense—whether a professor or Dean spoke to you inappropriately or if a situation was not handled properly. She’s the only lawyer who you don’t owe a retainer fee. 

6. After a long and stressful day, telling Mom that, “You’re just fine” is not going to fly. You can bet that she is going to get you to spill what’s going on. I think it has to do with something known as a mother’s intuition.

7. Your mom is always there to favorite a funny tweet about your philosophy professor, like your #ThrowbackThursday picture of the two of you on Insta, and of course to scold about your questionable Friday and Saturday night pictures on Facebook.

8. No matter how angry you can make her when it comes to certain decisions or how you handled a situation, she will always welcome you back into her arms. Fighting turns to shopping in a matter of ten minutes.

9. She misses those gossip lunch dates that the two of you had before you left for college. And drinking a Diet Coke without her is just not the same.

10. Your mom was your first best friend and will be one of the few to ever leave your side. She loves you unconditionally and her life lessons (even though I hate to admit) have taught you so many valuable things. She has been with you on every journey of your life and I can bet that she can’t wait for the ones to come. Love you, Mom! 

I dream of eating waffles with Amy Poehler and climbing to the top of Corporate America specifically in the fashion industry. Amy P hasn't responded to my emails, so in the meantime, I'm your typical college student who is majoring in Accounting. I'm a self-proclaimed Diet Coke and Twitter addict and I will never go a day without them. I hate the gym so don't look for me there. Finally, follow me on Twitter @gabbyycapello or Instagram @gabbycapello!
Amanda McKelvey is a Co-Campus Correspondent and a senior at Fairfield University. She is a Journalism major with minors in Psychology and Communications. In addition to being a CC she has held internships with Michael Kors, CollegeFashionista.com and the Rockville Centre and Baldwin Heralds. In her free time, Amanda enjoys days on the beaches of Long Island, watching Scandal, Chicago Fire and the Bachelorette, eating anything sweet (chocolate, ice cream, cupcakes—you name it!) and reading a good book. She’s excited to spend her senior year living at Fairfield Beach with her best friends including fellow CC Danielle Tullo! You can follow her on Twitter @theAMANDAshowww or on Instagram @ammckelvey.