10 Reasons Why Emma Watson is Beyond Perfect for the Role of Belle

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Two weeks ago on January 26, Emma Watson released a statement on her Facebook page announcing that she would play Belle in a new live action remake of Beauty and the Beast. The Disney remake is set to begin filming later in 2015 but we can’t wait to see Watson take on this iconic role. Here are 10 reasons why Watson is absolutely perfect for the role of Belle:

1. Her looks are perfect for the role. With light brown hair, dark brown eyes and a sweet smile, Emma is the epitome of a Disney Princess.  

2. She’s smart. Emma graduated from Brown University while still starring in feature films such as The Bling Ring and Perks of Being a Wallflower. She also mentioned in an interview with Time Magazine in 2010 that she loves the written word stating, “I like books that aren’t just lovely, but that have memories in themselves , just like playing a song, picking up a book again that has memories can take you back to another place or another time.” Belle is known for her love of books and Emma already possesses this quality. Not to mention Hermione Granger is never known for being thoughtless. 

3. She knows how to play a lead role. Unless you’ve been living under a rock you are probably aware of the enormous success of the Harry Potter movies. Emma carried the only female lead, Hermione Granger, with nothing but grace from a young age. Sometimes even stealing the scene completely from her two male counter parts. Emma is sure to do an excellent job portraying the beloved Disney Princess.

4. She knows what she believes in. Belle is known for doing what is right and never caving in on her beliefs. This past September, Emma used her movie star status to launch an equal gender campaign, HeForShe. Hopefully Emma, a U.N. Women Good Will Ambassador, will be able to bring some girl power to the princess role.    

5. She can sing. Many may not know this, but in Emma’s latest big screen release Noah, she sings a lullaby to a baby. Everyone knows that Belle must sing in the movie and Emma is already on her way to being an excellent singer.

6. She can dance. Belle also must be able to dance otherwise what would the iconic dance with the beast be? Emma has put her dancing shoes on for Perks as well as dancing around stage with Jimmy Fallon in 2013 on his Late Night show.

7. She’s always been a Disney Fan. In her statement confirming that she had won the role of Belle, she mentioned, “her six year old self is on the ceiling – heart bursting”. She also says that the movie was such a big part of her growing up and that it will be so surreal to dance to “Be Our Guest”. 

8. She’s from France. Although she was raised in England, she was born in France. Just one more trait she has in common with our heroine, Belle. The setting of the entire story of Beauty and the Beast takes place in France. 

9. She cares about those who are close to her. Belle will do anything for her father just as Emma will do anything for her family and costars. In countless interviews Emma has praised her Harry Potter co-stars as well her brother, who she has remained very close with. 

10. She’s a role model to viewers young and old, especially girls and young women.  In her role as Hermione, we were introduced to this spitfire with her brave and loyal personality.  Fans will see her now as a confident, smart, young woman introducing Emma to a new generation of Disney viewers.

PS: Ryan Gosling is now rumored to be playing the Beast so if you didn’t wan to see the movie before, we bet you want to now. Gosling plus Watson, could you die? 

Amanda McKelvey is a Co-Campus Correspondent and a senior at Fairfield University. She is a Journalism major with minors in Psychology and Communications. In addition to being a CC she has held internships with Michael Kors, CollegeFashionista.com and the Rockville Centre and Baldwin Heralds. In her free time, Amanda enjoys days on the beaches of Long Island, watching Scandal, Chicago Fire and the Bachelorette, eating anything sweet (chocolate, ice cream, cupcakes—you name it!) and reading a good book. She’s excited to spend her senior year living at Fairfield Beach with her best friends including fellow CC Danielle Tullo! You can follow her on Twitter @theAMANDAshowww or on Instagram @ammckelvey.