The 10 Most Jaw-Dropping Photos from the 2018 Winter Olympics Opening Ceremony

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

Every four years, when the winter Olympics re-emerge, we can expect a few one-of-a-kind, Olympics-specific things: unparalleled athleticism, a new knowledge of the city hosting the Games, heated competition, and an opening ceremony that never fails to leave us absolutely awestruck. The ceremony is typically characterized by fireworks, music and palpable nationalism and this year’s opening ceremony was particularly stunning. Here are a few of our favorite photos from the event that took place in Pyeongchang last Friday.

1. In classic Olympics fashion, fireworks were aplenty. These just so happened to shoot from the back of a performer.

2. Tonga’s flag bearer and only Olympian Pita Taufatofua followed his ~steamy~ Rio 2016 performance with a similar, shirtless entrance into the stadium. In 2016 he competed in taekwondo, but catch him cross country skiing in this year’s Olympics.

3. Nothing cues the chills quite like a stadium illuminated solely by lanterns accompanied with beautiful music. South Korea’s biggest music stars performed the John Lennon classic ‘Imagine’ in the center of a sea of candles.

4. Despite Mike Pence being seated in very close proximity to the sister of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, impersonators sought to further incite political tensions. Here, actors playing Donald Trump and Kim Jong Un are pictured before being escorted from the stadium.

5. The performers selected to entertain at the ceremony are never short of extraordinary and this perfectly-choreographed star formation is no exception.

6. South Korean figure skater Yuna Kim received the torch during its final leg and was the athlete selected to light the Olympic cauldron in this stunning way.

7. We sometimes forget that Olympic athletes are people, too, despite their superhuman athletic ability. Here, an athlete from Korea’s unified team is seen on FaceTime with his wife and child during the march into the stadium.

8. The ceremony never fails to keep us on the edge of our seats with death-defying performances like the one from this fire dancer.

9. With a record 242 athletes, a Ralph Lauren-clad Team USA entered the stadium behind flag bearer and luger Erin Hamlin.

10. Over 1,000 drones were involved in this iconic projection of the Olympic rings over the ceremony, setting the pace for the larger than life competition to follow.

After a ceremony like this one, we’re especially excited to watch our favorite athletes go for the gold. Let the games begin!

Alexis DiZenzo is a motivated Connecticut native. She attends Fairfield University where she is majoring in digital journalism and minoring in marketing. She is currently co-campus corespondent of Fairfield's Her Campus chapter. Along with managing Her Campus Fairfield, Alexis has interned with The Secured Lender Magazine, and NBC Sports. She is a contributing writer for Elite Daily as well as Thought Catalog. In the early stages of her college career, Alexis has taken the initiative to reach far among the stars and achieve goals early on. She has a great sense of editing, writing, publishing, marketing and leadership as well as strong interpersonal skills. (And a fun-loving, outgoing personality!) Alexis' favorite book (and movie) is The Great Gatsby, she lives by the words of Carrie Bradshaw and you could definitely find her on a beach, soaking up the sun. Instagram @alexisdizenzo www.alexisfdizenzo.com