10 Most Anticipated Shows Returning This Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

People love fall for many different reasons, but if you are a TV junkie like myself, then season premieres are the real reason fall is the best season. Here are 10 extremely anticipated fall premieres, with brief (emphasis on BRIEF) synopsis of how each season ended.

The Big Bang Theory (Premieres Monday, September 21st, on CBS at 8pm)

This is definitely a much-anticipated premiere. A lot happened in the season finale, and viewers were left with many unanswered questions. Amy expressed she needed to re evaluate her relationship with Sheldon (despite already purchasing an engagement ring). Penny and Leonard were on their way to elope, but viewers were left wondering if they are actually going to make it down the aisle. Tune into CBS on Monday the 21st too see what gets resolved.

Law and Order SVU (Premieres Wednesday, September 23rd on NBC at 9pm)  

Law and Order SVU is another show that has devout viewers since the beginning. With a main character like Olivia Benson, you never want to skip an episode, and barely even miss Eliot Stabler. This season kicks off with a 2-hour premiere that is sure to be suspenseful.

Modern Family (Premieres Wednesday, September 23rd on ABC at 9pm)

Modern Family is undoubtedly a fan favorite. When viewers last saw the Modern Family crew, Hayley’s and Andy’s relationship was up in the air, Alex got ready to go to college, and Mitch finally told Cam he lost his job. With the way last season ended, we know that this season is not going to be boring.

Empire (Premieres Wednesday, September 23rd on FOX at 9pm)

Empire had an amazing first season and has gained quite a following. What viewers can expect to see in season 2 is a war between Jamal and Lucious, now that Jamal has named him the successor.  Cookie and her crew continue scheming, but there are many anticipated bumps in the road that could cause trouble to their plotting. Tune in to FOX on Wednesday September 23rd to see all the drama, and a star-studded list of guest stars

Grey’s Anatomy

Premieres Thursday, September 24th on ABC at 8pm

Last season was a rollercoaster of emotions, and knowing Shonda Rhimes, Season 12 probably will not be any different. Season 11 left of with the return of Meredith to Seattle, and everyone at Grey Sloane coping with Derek’s death. Since last season was one of the most dark and twisty ones yet, there are rumors that this one will be less traumatizing, Tune on Thursday, September 24th to see what Grey’s will be like without McDreamy.

Scandal (Premieres Thursday, September, 24th on ABC at 9pm)

Scandal is another one of Shonda Rhimes mega hits, and has generated a very loyal following. We all know Olivia Pope is the definition of girl power, and to say last season was exciting is an understatement. Olivia got her dad arrested for embezzlement charges despite the B613 case being dropped. Viewers were left questioning if Huck was going to survive the gun to his head and Lizzie told Fitz that Rowan had been blackmailing most of his staff. Can you say drama?!

How To Get Away With Murder (Premieres Thursday 24th on ABC at 10pm)

Everything Shonda Rhimes touches turns to gold, as proven by her latest hit, How To Get Away With Murder. Last season didn’t lack in any drama or twists, so viewers can expect just as an exciting second season. For a quick refresher, Season One ended with the murder of Lila by Frank, Rebecca was murdered in Annalise’s death, and Oliver has tested positive for HIV. The season premiere is going to be extremely intense, to say the least.

Super Natural (Premieres Wednesday, October, 1st on CW at 9pm)

The CW never fails to have great shows with an even better looking cast, and Super Natural is no different. Last season was an intense one, making the wait for October 1st nearly impossible. When we last saw Dean and Sam, Dean was going to kill Sam, but didn’t go through with it and killed Death instead. While that was all happening Rowena did a spell that released darkness. Last season was a complete nail bitter, so we shall see on October 1st what this season has in store.

American Horror Story- Hotel (Premieres Wednesday, October 7th on FX at 10pm)

Technically, this isn’t a new season since each one has a new story line, but that doesn’t mean we aren’t excited for the premiere. Each year American Horror story gives us a can’t miss season, and we know this year won’t be any different, especially with all the huge stars, like Lady Gaga, who will be featured.

Jane The Virgin (Premieres Monday, October 19th on the CW at 9pm)

Jane the Virgin is another show that had an amazing first season, meaning many people are anxiously waiting the Season Two premiere. In the season finale, Jane and Rafael welcomed their son, who was quickly kidnapped by Sin Rosetro. Viewers were left on the edge of their seat wondering the fate of baby Mateo, so October 19th cannot come soon enough. 

Gabriella is currently a junior at Fairfield University, where she is majoring in Marketing and minoring in Communications. She is Co-Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Fairfield with her roomie/best friend Pamela Grant! Gab can most likely be found with a Venti Starbs in hand, while wearing obnoxiously large sunnies (no shame), reading the most recent issue of Glamour Mag.