10 Best Responses to Give When You Receive A Gift You Hate

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

The Christmas season is known as the season of giving, dedicating one’s time to great causes, spending time with loved ones, and also exchanging of gifts upon gifts. However, we all have experienced receiving a gift that we just down right did not like, no if’s, and’s, or but’s. It can be very awkward and uncomfortable but have no fear; we are here to help you in this time of need! Here are the 10 best responses to give when you receive a gift you hate:

1. “Thank you so much; it’s such a unique gift!”

It’s different, it’s cool, it’s just not for you.

2. “That was so sweet of you.”

They thought of you and were willing to give you something. No need to rain on their parade, flattery is everything.

3. “What a wonderful surprise, I really appreciate it!”

Of course it’s a surprise that you don’t like this gift….

4. “That was so thoughtful of you.”

You don’t say anything about the gift, nothing at all. You are just letting a friend know that they are so great for thinking of you.

5. If you already have the gift, “OMG, this is a great gift!”

It is an easy way to avoid admitting that you may not like the gift or that you already have the gift being given.

6. “I would have never thought of this! Where did you get it?”

A nice way of investigating where in the hell they bought this gift so that you can run to the store later…

7. Say thank you with a hug

You don’t even need to have a whole explanation. All you need is a hug to make everything better.

8. “Oh this would be perfect for …”

Give an example of how you can use said gift giving the impression that you do not actually hate it.

9. “You really know me, thank you so much.”

Clearly they do not know you, but I guess they tried, right?

10. If you are uncomfortable using any of these… just tell the truth

The person giving you the gift is probably close enough to you that they will understand. All that matters is the thought!

Adriana is currently a second semester senior at Fairfield University. She is majoring in Communication and English with a concentration in creative writing as well as a double minor in marketing and women, gender and sexuality studies.              
Alexis DiZenzo is a motivated Connecticut native. She attends Fairfield University where she is majoring in digital journalism and minoring in marketing. She is currently co-campus corespondent of Fairfield's Her Campus chapter. Along with managing Her Campus Fairfield, Alexis has interned with The Secured Lender Magazine, and NBC Sports. She is a contributing writer for Elite Daily as well as Thought Catalog. In the early stages of her college career, Alexis has taken the initiative to reach far among the stars and achieve goals early on. She has a great sense of editing, writing, publishing, marketing and leadership as well as strong interpersonal skills. (And a fun-loving, outgoing personality!) Alexis' favorite book (and movie) is The Great Gatsby, she lives by the words of Carrie Bradshaw and you could definitely find her on a beach, soaking up the sun. Instagram @alexisdizenzo www.alexisfdizenzo.com