The 10 Best Oscars Dresses of All Time

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fairfield chapter.

The 87th Academy Awards air this Sunday, February 22, and all fashion lovers are speculating about what the movie stars will be wearing when they arrive on the famous red carpet. It is the perfect time to reminisce on some of the best dresses of Oscar past. Here is a list of some of the most memorable Oscar dresses of all time.

Audrey Hepburn in Givenchy, 1954

Audrey Hepburn is the epitome of Hollywood glamour, and she upheld to that image when she wore this Givenchy gown to the 1954 Oscars. She won Best Actress for her role in Roman Holiday that night. It is safe to say, Hepburn started the long relationship of Givenchy on the Academy Awards’ red carpet.

Julia Roberts in Valentino, 2001 

Julia Roberts accepted her Oscar at the 2001 Academy Awards wearing this vintage black and white Valentino. The Erin Brockovich star helped start the trend of vintage dresses on the red carpet, and we love it!

Charlize Theron in Gucci, 2004  

In addition to winning Best Actress for Monster, Charlize Theron did not disappoint in this beaded Gucci gown at the 2004 Oscars. The floor skimming dress and added impact of the plunging neckline showed off the actress’s amazing body. Her 40s style curls and bronze skin just added to the sexiness of this look. 

Hilary Swank in Guy Laroche, 2005 

Hilary Swank started the night off right when she stepped onto the red carpet in this jaw dropping backless Guy Laroche dress. Then, later in the night, she won Best Actress for her role in Million Dollar Baby.

Michelle Williams in Vera Wang, 2006

This blonde beauty wowed us in this golden yellow Vera Wang gown at the 2006 Academy Awards. Most stars would not dare to wear this bold color, but Michelle Williams pulled off this look effortlessly. Her sparkling statement necklace and red lips were the perfect finishing touches to this amazing red carpet look. 

Penelope Cruz in Versace, 2007 

Even though she did not win Best Actress, Penelope Cruz won in the style department. This Spanish beauty wore an extravagant Versace dress that had a feathered bottom that took everyone’s breath away as soon as she stepped on the red carpet.  

Nicole Kidman in Balenciaga, 2007 

Red is a hard color to pull off on the red carpet, but Nicole Kidman did. She chose this breathtaking Balenciaga dress, which had a classic silhouette with an amazing trailing bow that tied at the back of the neck. One word: fabulous 

Sandra Bullock in Marchesa, 2010 

In 2011, Sandra Bullock wore this gold Marchesa gown that matched her statue she took home for her remarkable role in The Blind Side. The dress was embellished with metallic floral embroidery and vintage beading. Bullock completed her look with side-swept locks, simple jewelry, and a fuchsia lip. 

Mila Kunis in Elie Saab Haute Couture, 2011

The Black Swan star looked stunning in this feminine lavender Elie Saab gown. Everything about this look was perfect from the lace detail, loose bun, and eye-catching earrings. 

Gwyneth Paltrow in Tom Ford, 2012

Gwyneth Paltrow took a huge fashion risk wearing this minimalist Tom Ford white cape dress, but the risk paid off! Paltrow oozed confidence at the 2012 Academy Awards in this ensemble, which she paired with a beautiful cuff bracelet, sleek low ponytail, and simple makeup. This outfit dominated all of the 2012’s Best Dressed lists and best Oscar dresses of all time. 

Mary is a Fairfield University senior majoring in Communication with a minor in Marketing. She is the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Fairfield, which she has been apart of since the launch in February 2014. Things that Mary can't live without: Starbucks, Gilmore Girls (Team Jess all the way), Instagram, statement necklaces and her dog. She also has a real weakness for avocado toast. Make sure to follow her on Instagram, @marystamp   
Amanda McKelvey is a Co-Campus Correspondent and a senior at Fairfield University. She is a Journalism major with minors in Psychology and Communications. In addition to being a CC she has held internships with Michael Kors, CollegeFashionista.com and the Rockville Centre and Baldwin Heralds. In her free time, Amanda enjoys days on the beaches of Long Island, watching Scandal, Chicago Fire and the Bachelorette, eating anything sweet (chocolate, ice cream, cupcakes—you name it!) and reading a good book. She’s excited to spend her senior year living at Fairfield Beach with her best friends including fellow CC Danielle Tullo! You can follow her on Twitter @theAMANDAshowww or on Instagram @ammckelvey.