#TBT SERIES: 11 Throwback Songs – 2000s Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at F and M chapter.

Have you ever had one of those moments when all you wanted to do was listen to throwback music from way back when? As the semester becomes challenging, I find myself seeking solace from throwback music that helps me remember the gool ol’ days where college stress did not have a part in my life. Don’t feel defeated within the next couple of weeks because all of our favorite artists are here to support you. Keep on reading to find the top 10 popular songs of the 2000s:

1. NSYNC – Bye Bye Bye (2000)

Who can ever resist the charms of Justin Timberlake?

2. Vanessa Carlton – A Thousand Miles (2001)

#Throwback to when Terry Crews made this song famous in his iconic scene in the movie White Chicks.

“If I could fall into the sky / Do you think time would pass me by? / ‘Cause you know I’d walk a thousand miles / If I could just see you tonight”

3. Eminem – Lose Yourself (2002) 

4. Fountains of Wayne – Stacy’s Mom (2003)

​This is one of F&M’s favorite songs. Must we say more?

5. Bowling for Soup – 1985 (2004) 

If there was one word to describe this song, it would be this – classic.

“Since Bruce Springsteen, Madonna / Way before Nirvana / There was U2 and Blondie / And music still on M-T-V / Her two kids in high school / They tell her that she’s uncool / ‘Cause she’s still preoccupied /With 19, 19, 1985”

6. Mariah Carey – We Belong Together (2005)

Mariah Carey is the queen of the 2000s. From her angelic voice to her catchy songs, there’s nothing about her that we don’t love.

7. Gwen Stefani ft. Akon – The Sweet Escape (2006) 

Our favorite duet of the 2000s will always go to Gwen Stefani and Akon, two of the most iconic artists of the decade.

8. Elliott Yamin – Wait For You (2007)

​If you were born in either the 1990s, then this was your favorite song to sing-a-long. Even if you don’t know the lyrics to the entire song, there’s no mistaken that you can recite the chorus of this song. Elliott Yamin’s song “Wait for You” is probably one of the most well-known love songs of the deccade.

So, baby, I will wait for you / ‘Cause I don’t know what else I can do / Don’t tell me I ran out of time / If it takes the rest of my life / Baby, I will wait for you / If you think I’m fine it just ain’t true / I really need you in my life / No matter what I have to do / I’ll wait for you”

9. Miley Cyrus – 7 Things (2008)

No one can describe teenage love better than Miley Cyrus. From showing us what it means to be an ordinary girl to giving us hope that our dreams of becoming a famous pop star is possible, this Disney star was the epitome of our teenage selves.

10. Justin Bieber – One Time (2009)

Must we say more?

“Me plus you, I’m a tell you one time.”

11. Ke$sha – Tik Tok (2010) 

Who can forget about Ke$ha? This party girl showed us the glamour of the party life.

*All gifs are from giphy.com.

Vivian is the current Campus Correspondent and Marketing Director of the Her Campus chapter at F&M, where she has been a member for 3 years. She is a senior at Franklin & Marshall College, studying business and sociology. In her free time, she can be found catching up on TV shows, reading novels, or spending time with her sorority sisters. Her interests include branding, public relations, and marketing.