Richard Camuccio ’16

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at F and M chapter.

Name: Richard Camuccio

Hometown: Telford, PA

Major: Astrophysics

Class Year: 2016

Campus Activities: ARCC at F&M, Bonchek House Congress, Chancellor of Bonchek, F&M Cosmos, Fitness & Martial Arts Club, Grundy Observatory Assistant, MARIE Outreach Program, Peer Advisor, Physics & Astronomy Club, Physics Lab Technician, Research, Rock Band

Describe Yourself in 3 Words: Adventurer, Curious, Passionate

Relationship Status: Happily Taken

Dream Job: Astronaut

Why did you choose F&M?

I chose F&M because of the research opportunities offered to undergraduates that aren’t available in other institutions, as well as the accessibility of the professors here.  In most universities, it’s harder to work closely and develop working relationships with your professors while competing with a larger student body.  While this surely helps you develop your ability to learn independently, having an accessible support system is a gift that is often taken for granted.

What has been your favorite class and why?

I’d have to say that my favorite class so far has been Modern Physics.  What I experienced while taking that class was completely beyond the scope of its lesson plan.  My professor, Dr. Adkins, is a brilliant theoretical physicist who is an equally brilliant teacher.  He encouraged us constantly to remain humbly curious, and to question everything.  The day he showed us how Einstein arrived at his famous E = mc2 was a borderline-spiritual experience for me.  I also had the opportunity to meet Dr. Brian Greene, the famous string theorist, in that class too!

What did you enjoy most about being Chancellor of Bonchek? The experience.  The connections.  The change.  I learned so much about being in a leadership position and about helping run a fully-functioning and growing house.  I made plenty of mistakes, and those offered me more experience than did the times when things went just fine.  I now find myself better equipped to handle leadership roles in the future.  I met countless people through this position, learned how to reach out to people I didn’t know, and made connections that will last a long time.  But, most importantly, I helped run a house full of personality, full of spirit, and hopefully changed it for the better.

What are your big plans after stepping down from the position?

Immediately?  I’ll run for the position of Social Programming Chair on Bonchek’s House Congress.  I love planning events and watching people have fun as a result.  It will be a nice transitional step down.  Not so immediately?  I’m starting a science and innovation club on campus to promote STEM-related fields and progress towards a space-faring society.   I also have big plans for F&M’s Grundy Observatory that are in the works for both students and the Lancaster public.

What superpower would you have?

The ability to fly!  It would offer unprecedented freedom, both to go anywhere and see anything.  Plus, it would surely save me money and a trip or two to the gas station!

Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

In 10 years?  I’ll be 31 years old.  I’ll have written a book.  I’ll have doctorate in astronomy.  I’ll still be working towards that dream job of being an astronaut.  I’ll probably have a wife, and I’ll probably have kids.  I’ll still be wearing Converse and flannel shirts and playing guitar.  Other than that?  I’ll surely find out sooner or later!

Do you have a motivational quote that keeps you going?

“Do not go gentle into that good night, old age should burn and rave at close of day; rage, rage against the dying of the light.” -Dylan Thomas

Kristina is a senior HerCampus writer at the beautiful Franklin and Marshall College located in Lancaster, PA. For the last two years, she has been writing for the F&M chapter of HerCampus. Her other campus activities include tutoring for the physics department, editing the yearbook, and DJing for the WFNM radio station. Kristina graduates this year with a major in Astrophysics and minor in Applied Mathematics. She aspires to take her writing and science skills, and become a researcher in the field of atmospheric science.
Along with being the Her Campus Franklin and Marshall Campus Correspondent, I am also the editor-in-chief of Epilogue, F&M's literary Magazine, Staff Writer for The College Reporter, F&M's student newspaper, and a very active member of Phi Sigma Pi National Honor Fraternity. When not hard at work, you can find me writing, reading, geeking out over Disney movies with my friends, or doing art projects.