Reasons I Love Being Basic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at F and M chapter.

1. Bean boots are life.

Yes, I know bean boots are a fashion trend and when it snows you can look around campus and see every other girl wearing them, but regardless of them being “basic,” they’re also extremely useful. They have good traction for the snow and they can look prettier than the other types of snow boots out there. My bean boots are my go to when the weather gets cold, and it’s all because that’s they’re purpose!

2.  Filters

Okay, yes, filters on Instagram can be annoying, especially when overdone. But regardless, filters are sometimes fun to use. When you’re bored and are procrastinating, filtering a picture can take up a lot of time. And sometimes, it looks cool, and honestly, it’s only your own opinion that matters. Do my filters really impact your life that much?

3. Photo shoots

I’m not going to lie; photo shoots can definitely go over the top. But sometimes, you’re just hanging out with your friends, having fun, and want to take pictures to share the memories. And sometimes, you have the model pose where you all pretend to know what to do, but other times, you get the really cute laughing candids that you hang up in your dorm room. Pictures are memories!

4. Starbucks

I don’t understand why Starbucks became a “basic” thing to do. It’s a place where you can get coffee and food, and unlike other coffee shops, they also have options with no coffee in it for those of us (like myself) who don’t like coffee, and it tastes a lot better than other brands. I’ve heard the coffee is pretty good, and I can vouch for their food, so why is Starbucks basic? It’s just good!

5.“Selfies”

Selfies promote self-love—most of the time—and declaring a selfie to be basic thing to do degrades people for taking pictures of themselves when they’re feeling themselves. I’ve taken plenty of selfies in my day, and sometimes it’s not really a basic thing to do as it is fun and entertaining and promoting confidence for yourself.

All these things that are considered basic? They’re like the cliché—they’ve become basic for a reason: because they actually serve a purpose and aren’t bad things. It’s astonishing how the word “basic” correlates to something “bad” and it doesn’t make much sense to me. Yes, I like Starbucks and I wear Bean boots and I have a North Face and take pictures with my friends and selfie every once in a while, but none of those are bad. They’re not detrimental to my health (okay, maybe Starbucks can be with all those calories), and they’re really not impacting your life, so why call some actions “basic?” They’re just common things that people enjoy doing. 

Just a girl who likes too much hockey, too much Netflix, and too many books.
Karolina Heleno is a student at Franklin and Marshall College majoring in Creative Writing and minoring in Women and Gender Studies. She currently serves as the Communications Intern with the YWCA of Lancaster.