Marcy Labellarte ‘17

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at F and M chapter.

This girl is going to change the world one day.

Her Campus: Hometown?

Marcy Labellarte: Baltimore, MD

HC: Major?

ML: Sociology

HC: What are you involved in on campus?

ML:  I am the Director of Watch Care for Alpha Phi, and I am a co-president for F&M Students Against Sexual Violence. I’m in Dance Company, and I am in S.I.S.T.E.R.S. I also have a radio show, and I work in the College Center.

HC: What are you most passionate about?

ML: I’m passionate about way too much, honestly. I’m really passionate about women’s rights. I’m also just really passionate about making sure that people can make their own decisions. I also believe that women should be able to make their own choices. I think agency is really important, and I think it’s very easy to talk about structures and take away the agency of individual actors. One of my goals of trying to be someone who people can come talk to about their opinions is that people feel as empowered as possible at all times.

HC: What’s your favorite place that you’ve been to and why?

ML: Paris. When I first got there, the city really just took my breath away. Everything felt so sophisticated and I felt worldly. One of my favorite parts of being abroad was realizing how big the world is, and it’s easy to get caught up in yourself when you’re on a small college campus. But when you realize that you are one of 7 billion people in the world, it’s breathtaking.

HC: If you could have dinner with any celebrity, who would it be and why?

ML: Gloria Steinem. I had the privilege of being able to see her speak last spring at Johns Hopkins and she is absolutely captivating. She really captures the essence of the feminism that I identify with. She’s strong and empowering, and she also doesn’t take any shit.

HC: Who or what inspires you?

ML: That’s a great question. The people that inspire me are the people who have to put an effort into waking up everyday, and who move through the day with strength and with kindness.

HC: Favorite movie?

ML: Oh God. I don’t have a favorite movie, but my favorite genre is horror. There’s one called “White Noise” with Michael Keaton. It’s awesome.

HC: Favorite ice cream flavor?

ML: I like Ben and Jerry’s “Half Baked.”

HC: Ben or John?

ML: Ben because he was very innovative.

HC: Describe yourself in three words.

ML: Compassionate, ambitious, and strong.

Karolina Heleno is a student at Franklin and Marshall College majoring in Creative Writing and minoring in Women and Gender Studies. She currently serves as the Communications Intern with the YWCA of Lancaster.