Leslie and Kara Bacile ’15

Leslie:

Senior from Richmond VA. Double Major: Government and History

Head HA- Ware College House

Co-Captain- Women’s Basketball Team

Co-President- SAAC (Student Athlete Advisory Committee)

Kara:

Senior from Richmond VA. Government Major, Sociology Minor.

Head HA- Ware College House

Co-Captain- Women’s Basketball Team

Co-Vice President- SAAC (Student Athlete Advisory Committee)

What is your favorite thing about F&M?

L: My favorite thing about F&M would have to be the College House system.  I love how it creates little communities within the school and how it integrates faculty into the lives of students outside of the classroom.  Ware truly feels like a second home for me. My favorite events would have to be ourTuesday morning bagel breakfasts and Ware Thanksgiving Dinner!

K: My favorite thing about F&M is accessibility of the faculty! All the faculty members welcome students into their offices and really take the time to provide assistance and guidance to the students. I think the small class sizes and the relationships I have been able to establish with my professors have truly enhanced my learning experience and is something unique that F&M has to offer.

Is it hard balancing sports and academics?

L: It is tough managing basketball and academics.  College athletics is certainly a hefty time commitment that requires I budget my time accordingly throughout the week. It is especially tough at such a rigorous school like F&M. Sometimes it is hard to get everything done, and often times it is hard to do everything I would like to do, but I would not trade the opportunity to play college basketball for anything!  

K: It is definitely difficult to balance my academic responsibilities and my athletic responsibilities but it is well worth it. Time management is critical! I have to stay disciplined with my schoolwork and make a lot of sacrifices in order to make sure I get everything done. Being a student-athlete can be difficult and exhausting, but it is also rewarding and completely worth all the sacrifices.

How do you work together on the basketball team?

L: Since we have played together for so long we are used to the playing styles of one another so I like to think we play well together.  Also, we are co-captains this year so share the leadership responsibility that position entails.

K: Leslie & I have been playing together all our lives so we have a lot of chemistry on the court. I think we both are pretty good at anticipating the other’s next move and we always seem to know where the other is on the court, making it easier to deliver a good pass especially under a lot of pressure.

Finals tips?

L: Get some sleep! You will get more out of the work you do if you are feeling refreshed! :)

K: I agree with Leslie, sleep is KEY! If you’re not sleeping enough there is no way you can perform at your best and you will be feeling miserable. I’ve found that I work much more efficiently when I have gotten enough sleep.

Ben or John?

L: Tough call, but I would have to choose Ben!

K: Ben, he’s the man!

I am currently a senior at Franklin and Marshall College in the picturesque city of Lancaster, PA. I am a Spanish and History major and I'm excited to be a writer for HerCampus F&M. I love finding new and interesting ways to design nails and always share it with others. I also love all things of adventurous and exotic natures, stories, art, and cute boys (let's not forget what we really are checking on HerCampus).