Leslie and Kara Bacile ’15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at F and M chapter.

Leslie:

Senior from Richmond VA. Double Major: Government and History

Head HA- Ware College House

Co-Captain- Women’s Basketball Team

Co-President- SAAC (Student Athlete Advisory Committee)

Kara:

Senior from Richmond VA. Government Major, Sociology Minor.

Head HA- Ware College House

Co-Captain- Women’s Basketball Team

Co-Vice President- SAAC (Student Athlete Advisory Committee)

What is your favorite thing about F&M?

L: My favorite thing about F&M would have to be the College House system.  I love how it creates little communities within the school and how it integrates faculty into the lives of students outside of the classroom.  Ware truly feels like a second home for me. My favorite events would have to be ourTuesday morning bagel breakfasts and Ware Thanksgiving Dinner!

K: My favorite thing about F&M is accessibility of the faculty! All the faculty members welcome students into their offices and really take the time to provide assistance and guidance to the students. I think the small class sizes and the relationships I have been able to establish with my professors have truly enhanced my learning experience and is something unique that F&M has to offer.

Is it hard balancing sports and academics?

L: It is tough managing basketball and academics.  College athletics is certainly a hefty time commitment that requires I budget my time accordingly throughout the week. It is especially tough at such a rigorous school like F&M. Sometimes it is hard to get everything done, and often times it is hard to do everything I would like to do, but I would not trade the opportunity to play college basketball for anything!  

K: It is definitely difficult to balance my academic responsibilities and my athletic responsibilities but it is well worth it. Time management is critical! I have to stay disciplined with my schoolwork and make a lot of sacrifices in order to make sure I get everything done. Being a student-athlete can be difficult and exhausting, but it is also rewarding and completely worth all the sacrifices.

How do you work together on the basketball team?

L: Since we have played together for so long we are used to the playing styles of one another so I like to think we play well together.  Also, we are co-captains this year so share the leadership responsibility that position entails.

K: Leslie & I have been playing together all our lives so we have a lot of chemistry on the court. I think we both are pretty good at anticipating the other’s next move and we always seem to know where the other is on the court, making it easier to deliver a good pass especially under a lot of pressure.

Finals tips?

L: Get some sleep! You will get more out of the work you do if you are feeling refreshed! :)

K: I agree with Leslie, sleep is KEY! If you’re not sleeping enough there is no way you can perform at your best and you will be feeling miserable. I’ve found that I work much more efficiently when I have gotten enough sleep.

Ben or John?

L: Tough call, but I would have to choose Ben!

K: Ben, he’s the man!

I am currently a senior at Franklin and Marshall College in the picturesque city of Lancaster, PA. I am a Spanish and History major and I'm excited to be a writer for HerCampus F&M. I love finding new and interesting ways to design nails and always share it with others. I also love all things of adventurous and exotic natures, stories, art, and cute boys (let's not forget what we really are checking on HerCampus).
Along with being the Her Campus Franklin and Marshall Campus Correspondent, I am also the editor-in-chief of Epilogue, F&M's literary Magazine, Staff Writer for The College Reporter, F&M's student newspaper, and a very active member of Phi Sigma Pi National Honor Fraternity. When not hard at work, you can find me writing, reading, geeking out over Disney movies with my friends, or doing art projects.