Julia Kopala ’20

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at F and M chapter.

Welcome back fellow Dips! Our first PROFILE goes to Julia Kopala, a member of the class of 2020. We got the opportunity to learn more about Julia in this interview. Learn more about her below!

HC: Hometown?

JK: Bennington, Vermont

HC: What are you involved in at F&M?

JK: I am an active member of SISTERS, Students Against Sexual Violence and Active Minds, the mental health awareness club on campus.

HC: What is your favorite memory at F&M?

JK: In January, I was blessed to join the BSU on a bus to Washington DC to attend the Women’s March on Washington. Although we had to awake at 5 am and sit in a freezing bus for a few hours, I got to march with the most passionate people in an atmosphere full of forward-thinking, dedication, pride, acceptance, and love. Without F&M, I would never have had the chance to experience such a profound event. I’m a part of history now.

HC: Favorite place to eat in Lancaster?

JK: Sprout has great Phở. But Splits and Giggles has my heart which is full of ice cream.

HC: Favorite place on campus?

JK: My favorite spot is definitely my dorm room. I love to decorate and make the space my own. Even though we have to move every year, that just brings more opportunity to make the next room even homier.

HC: How would you describe your high school self? 

JK: This question is difficult because I changed a lot over my four years of high school. At first, I was shy and strictly studious. As time went on, I became more active in sports and other clubs. I was becoming a leader in the classroom, on the sports field, and in the eyes of my friends. All of this was difficult, not that high school is ever easy for anyone. I struggled with mental health issues for most of my junior year, but I became stronger with a little help. By senior year, I was on top of the world (or the entire world that consisted of my tiny school). I became confident in my abilities and embraced my education and social spheres. My high school self definitely learned life lessons and came out on top.

HC: What inspires you?

JK: Young people pursuing their passions and believing in the power of education.

HC: If you could do anything what would you do?

JK: Ideally, I would love to work with people as an educational, financial, and social mentor. Someone who would be there for people who are struggling to find balance and the organizational skills to live a fulfilled life.

HC: If you could travel back in time, what would you tell your twelve-year-old self?

JK: Please believe that you are capable of anything you set your mind to. All of the hard times solve themselves and you will always have love and support as long as you believe in yourself.

HC: An interesting fact about you?

JK: I absolutely love Zumba dance class.

HC: Ben or John? (and why)

JK: Ben because he’s more well-known.

Do you want to be featured on our blog? E-mail us at f-and-m@hercampus.com to be our next PROFILE star!

Vivian is the current Campus Correspondent and Marketing Director of the Her Campus chapter at F&M, where she has been a member for 3 years. She is a senior at Franklin & Marshall College, studying business and sociology. In her free time, she can be found catching up on TV shows, reading novels, or spending time with her sorority sisters. Her interests include branding, public relations, and marketing.