How to NOT Get a Gut by Turkey Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at F and M chapter.

Ladies, fall break has just officially ended, but the real struggle is coming close: that odd stretch of 6 weeks between then and the next break. I don’t know about you, but Thanksgiving is a blessing and a curse. The best damn holiday revolves around food, and now that I’m college-aged, I have finally made it to the coveted adult table for the big meal. In my case, sadly, some of my family revelations made me wish I were stuck talking webkinz with my little cousins. We may have Homecoming Weekend in a few weeks on campus, but the real homecoming that we all stress over is coming home for this break. It’s great because then we get to see friends from home and catch up, but then there’s also the beauty of running into an old flame or friend at the local deli or coffee shop and what impression you leave on them. Obviously, as girls, we announce to 5 different group chats if that cute lacrosse player from high school now has a beer gut and in desperate need of a haircut, so we know they notice too. So let’s make that GroupMe buzz flowing with wow college looks good on her! Since we are all gorgeous inside and out, I personally know I could have had fewer chicken tenders and burritos these past few weeks and my ass might need a little more work then just the three flights of stairs I climb to class every day. So join me on my little quest post break, or laugh at my attempts to find healthy options at Sodexo eateries. It will sure be interesting and maybe I’ll even reward myself with an extra slice of pie for all my efforts!

How to NOT Get a Gut by Turkey Day

So to prep for the fun experience that we are about to go through, here are a few things you may want to chuck in your suitcase before you make your way back to campus.

• Workout Clothes you feel good in because when you look good you feel good
  • (plus looking bomb the fitness center doesn’t hurt either!)
  • Some yummy bars/trail mixes, to get you through those long days during midterms
  • A solid pair of sneakers, something you like, but also won’t get blisters from  
  • HAIR TIES, because those little suckers literally disappear the minute you open a new pack
  • A water bottle, yup we will be overdosing on the hydration ladies
  • Candle or incense for your room, we need our zzz’s
  • A baggy amazing sweatshirt, because why not, they always make me happy!

So enjoy the break, my little soldiers, eat up your mom’s casserole and fancy dinners out because the real work comes when we get back to campus. But don’t worry I’ll make this super easy and accommodating with F&M’s rigorous schedules.

Image courtesy of The Cutest Blog on the Block

Vivian is the current Campus Correspondent and Marketing Director of the Her Campus chapter at F&M, where she has been a member for 3 years. She is a senior at Franklin & Marshall College, studying business and sociology. In her free time, she can be found catching up on TV shows, reading novels, or spending time with her sorority sisters. Her interests include branding, public relations, and marketing.