Fulfilling your Dreams with the perfect Soufflé

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at F and M chapter.

When trouble came her way, the Kitchen was her only escape.

For many of us, finding our aspirations is always on our minds. We are asked in elementary school what we want to be when we grow up, high school what college we want to go to, and finally college where you have four years of people asking what your plans are the second you walk across that stage in May. For young Ruth Reichl this process of questioning went a little differently. Growing up with a mother diagnosed with depression. Trying to navigate a normative childhood was extremely difficult growing up in the 60’s. Close relatives stepped in as a stable figure for her to lean on teaching her family recipes, discovering her passion early on. Tender at the Bone is a riveting memoir by Rechil proving women despite what obstacles come their way, can conquer their dreams and make them realities. 

"People will stare. Make it worth their while." -Harry Winston 
Karolina Heleno is a student at Franklin and Marshall College majoring in Creative Writing and minoring in Women and Gender Studies. She currently serves as the Communications Intern with the YWCA of Lancaster.