In Franklin’s Footsteps: Alysse Vaccaro ’11

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at F and M chapter.

Our recent celebrities have all made great changes here on campus, and this week’s Alysse Vaccaro ’11 is no exception. In addition to her joint Women and Gender Studies and American Studies major, and minor in German Language, Alysse is currently the President of the Black Pyramid Senior Honor Society, Co-Chair of the Senior Gift Committee, Co-Facilitator of the Women’s Center Executive Board, Vice President of VOX: Voices for Planned Parenthood on Campus, and a member of the Alumni Leaders of Tomorrow. Again, these are only her current involvements. In previous years she has also been the President of SAVE: Sexual Assault and Violence Education and Co-President of the Blue & White Society. With a host of titles and involvement, Alysse is clearly a major component of F&M’s student life.

Last week, Alysse was able to see the results of her work in two events with Dr. Lisa Wade, a Women’s Center sponsored Pita Pit dinner (jackpot!) in the Writer’s Center and the school-wide common hour on Hook-Up Culture. As a follow up, the weekly Friday Women’s Center discussion that Alysse co-facilitated focused on Dr. Wade’s ideas on hooking up and their relation to F&M.

Alysse is at the helm of bringing healthy sexual awareness to our campus. In light of last week’s events she states, “I think it was good to draw attention to sexual activity (and the lack of) that is happening on campuses…more organizations needs to start dialogues about healthy sexual relationships.” Alysse’s work with these events and with Vox, which is known for hosting Safer Sex and Healthy Lovin’ parties, has educated students on how to improve their sexual relationships in a safe way. This type of knowledge is of great importance for everyone, but especially on college campuses.

In the fall, we will lose Alysse to New York City where she will be going to graduate school for nonprofit management at Milano The New School. She then has hopes to work for an organization that promotes social justice. Although her time here is winding down, her work will absolutely be felt and remembered.  

Oh, and did I mention that on a Hackman she published a small book about coeducation titled An Institution Refounded: Coeducation at Franklin and Marshall? Talk about a fearless resume!

Molly is a junior at Franklin and Marshall College majoring in Creative Writing with a minor in Women's and Gender Studies. Molly is a member of the Zeta Beta chapter of Phi Sigma Pi National Honor Fraternity, a former field hockey player, and Relationships & College Life writer at ChickSpeak.com. This native Jersey girl can be found hitting the pavement on daily runs, watching Sex and The City, or shopping for the best sales. A self-proclaimed foodie, Molly can out-eat any guy she has dated. Molly is an aspiring writer and is looking to take the publishing world by storm post-graduation.