Emerging Writers Festival 2015

Emerging Writers Festival

This year, F&M’s annual Emerging Writers Festival was held April 15th through April 17th. The festival was hosted by the Department of English and the Philadelphia Alumni Writers House and sponsored by Richard and Edna Hausman; the Office of the Provost; the Philadelphia Alumni Writers House; the Department of English; and the Department of Theatre, Dance, and Film. Craft talks and readings by Sampson Starkweather (poetry), Arna Bontemps Hemenway (fiction), Chisa Hutchinson (playwright), Ansel Elkins (poetry), and Kristin Dombek (non-fiction) were held through the three day festival.

The schedule for the festival was:

READINGS to be held in the Green Room Theatre:

Wednesday, April 15, 7:30 pm featuring Sampson Starkweather, Arna Bontemps Hemenway, and Chisa Hutchinson

Thursday, April 16, 7:30 pm featuring Ansel Elkins and Kristin Dombek

CRAFT TALKS to be held in the Writers House:Thursday, April 16Sampson Starkweather, 9:00 – 10:00 am

Arna Bontemps Hemenway, 1:30 – 2:30 pm

Chisa Hutchinson, 2:30 – 3:30 pm

Friday, April 17Ansel Elkins, 10:00 – 11:00 am

Kristin Dombek, 11:00 – 12:00 pm

After the two craft talks on Friday, the Writers House hosted a panel discussion and even had a BBQ for everyone interested in joining them and the writers for food! The weather was beautiful all weekend and it was perfect for the festival. The doors to the Reading Room could be opened and some people sat outside to listen to the Friday craft talks.

I attend Franklin & Marshall College and am the campus correspondent of the Her Campus chapter here. I also play flute with the Pep Band and Symphonic Wind Ensemble. I am an editor for the Patsy Post, am involved with F&M Unleashed, a member of Mu Upsilon Sigma, and a Brother of Phi Sigma Pi, a co-ed honors fraternity.