This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

The Olympics are once again upon us, and though of course the sports events are the most exciting part, it’s almost as fun to see all the different ways athletes can get creative with their gear. Today, we at Her Campus Exeter are bringing you a few ways you can introduce a little Olympic spirit into your wardrobe, with fashion inspired by three of our favorite winter sports.

Speed Skating

Speed skating is incredibly fun and exciting to watch, and unlike figure skaters, they somehow look effortlessly sleek and calm no matter how fast they’re going.

If (like me) watching the Olympics makes you feel ashamed at how little you work out, and if (unlike me) you are actually inspired enough to drag yourself out for a run, recreate the streamlined bodysuits of the skaters with neon-blue-and-black leggings and a black hoodie. You probably don’t need a helmet or ice-proof gloves, but keep your ears warm with fleece earmuffs, and add another pop of color with fun neon trainers.

Curling

What’s that? Sorry, I couldn’t hear you over the sound of the world’s loudest trousers, otherwise known as the main reason I love watching curling. There’s nothing better than some good paisley or houndstooth to jazz up a sport which, though dignified and the holder of a long and noble history, also happens to involve brooms and tournaments referred to as “bonpiels.”

Draw strength from the Norwegian curling team’s look-how-much-we-don’t-care-how-many-worst-dressed-lists-we-end-up-on attitude and wear these trousers loud and proud with braces and a cobalt crop top. Chunky black Mary-Janes bring to mind specially-designed curling shoes (fun fact of the day: curlers wear mismatched shoes, one with traction and one meant for sliding) and a necklace with a broom charm ties in the main symbol of the sport without, you know, requiring you to lug around a broom all day for sartorial purposes.

Figure Skating

No article about Olympics fashion would be complete without a mention of figure skating, my personal favorite event. You may remember Yulia Lipitskaya, pictured above, from her amazing, contortionist-level flexibility, her beautiful short-program routine that was marred by a fall at the very beginning, and/or the fact that she looks like she’s always mildly contemplating murder, but her costumes are also quite memorable and beautiful.

Pay homage to Yulia’s gorgeous navy-blue costume with either a lace and mesh A-line dress or a tighter velvet one, and protect yourself from the chill of the ice-skating rink (or just the wind on your way to class) with an asymmetrically-buttoned red coat. All figure skaters have to wear nude tights during their performances—try going for a slightly warmer crocheted version, with wedges whose silver heels emulate the blades on ice skates. Finally, replace the rhinestones that drip from every figure-skating costume with a much classier necklace and hair brooch.

What are your favorite fashion moments of the Olympics so far? Let us know in the comments!

Photo credits: www.asos.comwww.barneys.comwww.bbc.co.ukwww.businessinsider.comwww.fila.comwww.gysopearl.comwww.johnlewis.comwww.nike.comwww.olympics.cbc.cawww.overland.comwww.riverisland.comwww.theguardian.comwww.topshop.com

Rekha is a senior English and Film double major who breaks out in stress hives at the prospect of graduating. While abroad at Exeter, she was a huge fan of clotted cream, Topshop, and the sheep that hang out on the sides of roads; now that she's back at Kenyon, she is a fan of roaming the library sans shoes and eating Doritos too loudly on the third floor.