sharon mccutcheon Ru 7if4siHA unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sharon mccutcheon Ru 7if4siHA unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why You Should Indulge In A Summer Fling

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Summer flings and their ideals were made famous by the iconic movie Grease. Who can forget the epic love story of Sandy and Danny, which started as a summer romance and then blossomed into something beautiful. However, we all know that summer romances aren’t all they are cracked up to be often leaving you broken hearted, having to pick up the pieces at the end of the summer. So for the last week of term, HCX have decided to explore whether the pros of a summer fling outweigh the cons. Today we examine the more romantic side of things, helping you to decide whether that fit boy on the beach is worth pursuing. 

1.      The exoticism of it all:

A summer fling is the chance to escape all those conventions that confine you whilst at university! It’s a chance to go and explore the corners (and perhaps the guys) of the world that you wouldn’t normally come into contact with – safely of course. There is no chance of a summer fling being dull and mundane and so if you are seeking a way to spice up your holiday, a fling may be for you! Just remember that holiday romances present the same dangers as ordinary ones – perhaps even more so if you’re abroad.

2.      You may gain a friend from it:

Whilst the lines of a summer fling need to be drawn up clear as day at the very beginning, if both of you have the understanding that the fling is just for the summer, you may be able to maintain a friendship afterwards. Even better if this friendship is with someone who lives abroad- free holidays!

3.      It could lead to the best summer of your life:

Let’s face it – there are some things that are just better done with a lover! It has been proven that the Summer heat does in fact lead to people having more sex: so a fling could kick start that aspect of your summer quite literally with a bang! Enjoy the music festivals with a partner, or picnics outside in the park- summer is the perfect time to indulge that inner romantic within you.

[pagebreak]

4.      Awesome memories:

Despite knowing that it will be only a summer thing, you will still always have your memories! These memories can be cherished during those rainy Winter months – after all, who would say no to a summer of romantic picnics in the park or sharing an ice cream in the sunshine?

5.      Girly gossip to tell your friends:

This is especially important if all your friends are in relationships or going on holiday with their significant others. By having your own fling, you can share spicy details of your own love-life that may even make your coupled-up friends jealous. We’ve all experienced the loved-up couple who boast about their sex life and romantic gestures – if you’ve been craving a little bit of their lovey-dovey-ness but aren’t ready to commit, a Summer fling provides the perfect opportunity for frivolous fun without the seriousness of a relationship.

6.    It breaks up the monotony of Summer:

We all know that the summer can get a bit dull, what with that boring summer job you keep and your parents always nagging at you to do stuff around the house – a fling can break this monotony up. It will certainly make your days more interesting and make the summer seem like it’s flying by rather than dragging on. Having said this, however casual a relationship may seem, it’s important to be honest and upfront about things – if you’re both looking for a brief Summer encounter to brighten up your holiday, tell each other that from the start!

The opinions above may perhaps be a little rose tinted, but that doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t take the opportunity to indulge in some Summer lovin’after all who knows what could happen. Make sure that you continue to check out our site to see the less romantic side of a summer fling so that you can make up your mind as to whether it is for you!

Photo Credits: www.netbrawl.com, www.theblogbykostantinelas.blogspot.co.uk, www.glamour.com