This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

I think it’s fair enough to say that people who are single, dread the Christmas period because there’s an element of loneliness associated with it. This is completely normal and natural. Everything from festive films to Christmas cards and even Mariah Carey tells us that Christmas is the season of love, relationships and happiness. Many articles during this time period tend to attempt to give advice on how to survive the festive period when you’re single. These articles seem to suggest that if you’re single, you might drop dead at any time during this period. They also seem to note that not being in a relationship during this time of year is depressing. These factors contribute to ‘cuffing season’, a dating trend that occurs during this time of year for those that want to get into relationships just for the winter months. Below are some suggestions as to why you should embrace being single during the festive period, and they’re pretty good (but that might be a bit bias).

• Cuffing Season

Typically during this time of year, dating apps such as Tinder and Hinge become swamped with people pretending to have fun at ice rinks and men saying in their bio they like ‘cuddles and snuggles’ as though it’s a hobby. This might tempt you to think it’s a good time to use these dating apps to get either into a relationship or a situationship. But more than likely, because of cuffing season, this isn’t the best idea. People tend to use dating apps during this time purely for the winter period until it gets warmer, and therefore it can be incredibly draining if this isn’t what you want. By being single and content with this, it saves you a lot of time not having to deal with people that don’t want the same thing that you want.

• Money

By being single, you’re saving money by not having the financial pressure of buying gifts for your partner and perhaps even their family too. You get the complete and utter luxury of being completely selfish for the duration of this festive period and this is fantastic. While the Christmas period is traditionally associated with being selfless and kind, I think alone time and being seflish is an important part to being single during this festive period. Whether it’s getting that item of clothing you’ve been wanting for ages, reading on the sofa or treating yourself to a day out, it’s important to treat yourself and put yourself first!

• Meeting New People

As we didn’t experience a ‘normal’ Christmas last year and this year depends on COVID, there’s an opportunity to attend some Christmas parties and gatherings. Whether you meet someone you’re attracted to or meet a new friend, it’s a great opportunity to add something new to your life. Equally if you don’t want to meet new people or socialise, you’re in full control not to attend, whilst this might not be an option if you were in a couple.

• Reflection

This festive period is also the best time to reflect on what you want and what makes you happy. As the year is nearly coming to an end, it’s important to think about what you want to achieve or perhaps do differently for the next year. Surround yourself with your nearest and dearest and focus on your needs and happiness.

I hope this article gives single people some kind of hope for the forthcoming Christmas period and that it reduces the pressure of forcing a relationship. There are multiple reasons why you should embrace being single during this time of year, and it’s important to look after yourself and put yourself first too. Sending lots of love and happy, healthy vibes!

I'm the Sex and Relationships Editor for Exeter and a third year student studying Classical Studies and English with a passion for literature, art and film!