What’s in Your Handbag?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

What’s in your handbag?

The inside of a handbag is individual and personal to the owner. Though the essentials can be found in all handbags, such as phone, keys, purse, it is still a place to store the items which we personally view as vital to our everyday lives. A recent survey showed that a women’s handbag and contents is worth on average over £1,300, demonstrating just how much we invest in what we view as our daily necessities.

The contents of a handbag, like a makeup bag, can be compared to an individual’s portrait – in many ways, it shows the personality of the owner and what is important to them. For example someone who carries their passport around with them at all times could be regarded as spontaneous and exciting. Equally a written diary could suggest a sense of creativity instead of using a standard organization app on your phone. Some people base the contents of their bags on the concept of practicality and are structured in an organized manner. Sadly I am not so lucky and instead, along with many others, have a handbag which is more disorderly and chaotic. I personally find that my handbag is always packed with useful things such as sunglasses, pens, chargers, tissues, makeup… but yet when I actually require one of these items, my bag is suddenly a bottomless pit of confusion and everything seems to disappear.  

This topic of ‘what is in your handbag?’ has fascinated many people including artists such as Miss Lecroc who spends her time composing beautiful sketches of the individual elements which people store in their bags.

Inspired by these sketches, I decided to look at my own handbag and the items which I carry with daily: my purse (stuffed with receipts and random change), phone, train tickets and concert tickets (from events weeks ago), my trusty Ray bans (a necessity even when it is not sunny), make-up, keys, hairbrush, perfume, headphones, Nurofen and a magazine (to read in uninteresting lectures).

Your choice of handbag to carry all of this around with you is also important. A handbag needs to be big enough to store everything you actually need, but not so big that you can store rubbish and have difficulty finding things. Designers at the moment appear to favour clutches or tiny evening style handbags, which aren’t practical for daily life at all, unless you are incredible organized and able to edit the contents of your bag to the bare minimum. Also, don’t be fooled by this ‘no handbag’ trend sported by many fashion editors at the moment. I personally don’t understand how this is possible, they surely can’t be that organized?

So, what’s in your handbag, and what do you think it says about you?

Photo Credits: Pinterest