This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Christmas is only a few weeks away, and as the big day approaches everyone is starting to plan out their festive celebrations, stocking up on mince pies, booking train tickets to visit family, and of course, getting excited about the festive television specials that will air this year!

From amazing reboots like Gavin and Stacey, to family favourites like Bake Off, to old classics like A Christmas Carol – there’s pleanty of amazing TV this year for you to cosy up and watch with your family!

1 – A Christmas Carol, 22nd-24th of December, 9pm, BBC1

This is a story most of us know by heart, and it’s making a welcome return to our screens this year as Guy Pearce gets his Scrooge on in this three-part special, concluding on Christmas Eve.

With the creator of hit drama series The Peaky Blinders and the producers of Taboo behind it, and a superb cast including Stephen Graham, Andy Serkis, and Charlotte Riley, it’s sure to do the classic tale justice. Airing from the 22nd until the 24th, it’s the perfect way to get into the festive spirit in the final build up to Christmas Day!

Check out the teaser trailer here

2 – Not Going Out, 24th of December, 10pm, BBC1

Not Going Out is, in my opinion, one of the best and most underrated British sitcoms, and I’m trilled that Lee Mack and Sally Bretton will be returning this year for a Christmas special on Christmas Eve.

The show has now run for ten series and continues to entertain, I can’t wait to see what sort of festive trouble Lee and Lucy get into this year!

3 – Strictly Come Dancing Christmas Special, 25th of December, 4:40pm, BBC1

Who doesn’t love a bit of dancing? After you’ve enjoyed your Christmas lunch and played a few party games sit down and relax in front of the TV and watch as six famous faces return to the Ballroom to compete for the Christmas trophy.

Strictly alumni Joe Sugg and Gemma Atkinson will be among those taking to the dancefloor this year to get your toes tapping as you argue over who’s been cherry-picking the Quality Street!

4 – Gavin and Stacey Christmas Special, 25th of December, 8:30pm, BBC1

This is probably the most hyped-up Christmas special of the year, and with good reason!

Fans of the classic sitcome were trilled this year when James Cordon announced the one-off reprisal of the show for Christmas Day, an entire decade since the show last aired on our screens. All of the original cast are returning, and this won’t be one to miss!

Watch the trailer here!

5 – The Great British Christmas Bake Off, 25th of December 8pm / 1st January 7:40pm, Channel 4

This year we don’t have just one GBBO special, we have two! Christmas Day’s special will see old favourites return to the tent, including Briony (2018), Yan (2017), and Terry (2018). Then, kicking off the New Year, the cast of the sitcom Derry Girls will take to the tent to put their baking skills to the test.

Prue, Paul, Noel, and Sandy will all return for both specials, so if you’re looking for some baking inspiration, don’t forget to tune in!

So after you’ve cleared your plate and torn open your presents, sit down with a cup of tea and warm mince pie and enjoy some of the best of British television over the festive period. Happy Christmas!

I'm an undergraduate reading BSc Politics and International Relations at the University of Exeter. I have a passion for current affairs and want to write articles that make complicated issues understandable for everyone. As a proud aspergirl and Childline ambassador I also want to use my writing to raise awareness around mental health conditions and disabilities.